1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

leather or cloth

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grass1, Mar 7, 2002.

1. grass1

grass1 LawnSite Member

:confused: :confused: Im getting ready to buy a 02 chevy 2500 ext. cab and cant decide wether to get leather or cloth what would be better?? It is going to be a work truck with at least 5 guys. All your thoughts would be very much appreciated thanks
  2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

If its just for work only cloth.

Personal use that's something else.
  3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Just want to make sure - is it real leather you're referring to or vinyl? (I'm not too familiar with new trucks - w-a-y out of my price range!)

If it is real leather, then I'm in agreement with Lawnzzz on going with cloth.

If it's vinyl as opposed to cloth, then I'd say go with vinyl since it'll be easier to keep clean than cloth and won't hold as much dust.

On the same topic, if possible - no carpet! For a work truck, rubber floor mat is much easier to keep clean and again, not as much of a dust collector.
  4. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

My vote is leather.....Heck of alot easier to keep clean.... Just my .02!
    Good luck on the new truck whatever ya decide!!:D
  5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

vinyl would be my top choice for a work truck, its so easy to clean, heck if ur careful can even hose it out! easy to wipe clean and everything, second choice would be leather.
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, leather in todays trucks are only available in the fully loaded vehicles. Vinyl is available in the work truck series. There's about a 7 to 10 grand spread between the top and the bottom. Cloth falls in between there.You better decide what you can afford and want to spend to have 5 sweaty, stinky guys getting in the truck every day. :)
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Ya...................cloth will not only hold more dust.................it holds more "stank" too!

If you intend to haul other folks in the truck get vinyl seats or put some covers on them.
  8. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

leather-----expensive, hot in summer, cold in winter
    vinyl----hot in summer, cracks can develop

whatever you get, just put on some cheap seat covers......
  9. TLC Lawn And Landscape

TLC Lawn And Landscape LawnSite Member

Go with leather. No dust, easy claening and won't crack like vinyl would. If your worried about heat, buy some seat covers for the real hot days.
  10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

im a big chevy fan, but their leather in their trucks is not very good. in 2001 they switched to a different leather manufacturer i think. i ordered cloth in my 2002 2500HD and so far so good. as far as cloth holding the stank in, just wash your truck often and you shouldnt have a problem. i usually have mine professionally detailed once a year, and that includes shampooing the seats. that way no stank develops.:D