Leave 2 cycle stabilized gas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfcutters Plus, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking of leaving stabilized 2 cycle gas in all 2 cycle equiptment this year end.3-4 months is how long it sits approximately.I usually drain 2 cycle,stabil in all mwers,aerators ect,no problems before.It's just that i'm tired of draining and wasting gas with rising costs.Gas is like F%$!! gold now.What do you think?Does it really gum up THAT bad?I have so much back up gear anyhow,maybe i should chance it. :help:
  2. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I was told and do leave gas in all my two cycle stuff trough the winter no problems yet.Use shin or any oil that has stabilizer in it you will be ok. start them up one a month or so.If leave them dry the seals in the carbs dry out.Been there done that
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I never drain any gas. Pop the stabilizer in them, if necessary, and leave them for the winter. No problems for 9 winters so far.
  4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i hate that stabilizer stuff.i fix outdoor power equipment for a living and i hardly have to rebuild a carb anymore.good for you guys bad for me.
    all kidding aside this is the best stuff to come to our industry
    in many years it just works and works well i use it in all my mowers that sit on my showroom floor and never have to drain gas or clean carbs.
  5. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used Stabil in any equipment, seems like we use through December then again in March, never had any problems with old gas in equipment.
    Stihl and Echo mix have fuel stabilizer in them.
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, same here.
  7. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

With stabilizer in gas,do they really need to be fired up monthly? ;)
  8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't start anything until the spring.