Leave Estimate In The Mail Box

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Adamma Landscape Group, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

What do you guys do when a customer calls and say, " I live on 1234 John Doe Street, I need an estimate for lawn maintenance. Leave the estimate in the mail box". Would you go with this high gas prices?
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to go to the house anyway to look at it. Why not just leave it in the door while you're there instead of making 2 trips?
  3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell them no I can't do that as the postman will take it.
  4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I would go...they might have to work just like we do,drop off the estimate and call them to follow up on the estimate.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How else would you price the lawn???????
    As far as leaving the estimate in the mailbox..................................well you know how uncle sam is about lack of postage...............but............ :rolleyes:
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

or, be a pro, and be sure to make contact with them, and close the sale. this "leave it in the mailbox" crap, is playing right into thier little game. what they are trying to tell you is, they are afraid of pressure, they are weak. that's when u get on em
  7. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I am lucky, I just get referrals, and people like that, I tell em I dont do that, that I come talk in person. They obviously are taking a lot of "bids", which means they are going to get some cheap A** to do it anyway.
  8. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I would try to get them to meet you in person and sell yourself your chances are much better!
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

One of my best customers is a "leave it in the box" person.
    She is too busy and not interested in the details.
    There are MANY people out there just like this.
    You guys keep saying no to them, I'll go give them a price and call them back later to "close the deal".

I'd rather spend time on the phone and go leave the pricing at MY convenience.................
  10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Welcome to the real world. free estimates? for who? probably costing you $25+ each. Some people arent worth the time or effort to do a proposal for.