Leave it ragged or double mow?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, May 16, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have 2 accounts that are side by side. The problem is, the grass is growing so fast that mowing once a week just isn't enough. So I called both of them and suggested that they go to a 5 day mowing schedule until the growth settles down. I also gave them the option that I could double mow each week but it would probably be a little more money.

They both said they were not interested in either option and said to just mow their lawns as is. These lawns are not highly visible, but I still take pride in my work. So I guess I am going to bite the bullet for a few weeks and double mow. Or I could just mow it once and leave it ragged.....

What would you do?

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Double mow period....you don't have a choice!

3. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

If you leave it looking crappy it is your business and reputation on the line. I have the same issue with a couple accounts, Normally I get the 2 done in 30 minutes. Last week I was there for 2 hours. Do what you can to make it look good. Its your reputation on the line

4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Double mow, but I would definitely put something in writing for future customers about the height of the grass etc.
    Learn, learn, learn, it's a neverending battle.

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to say it, but I agree with Jaj and rmartin. This is my first year back in the business and it's busting my cojones just to get through the week, and I still don't have enough accounts. But if I leave 'em looking lousy, I'll never get the referral business we all need to survive in this industry.

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Yep...I send out letters prior to starting the season. Knowing what i have learned, I'll probably tailor each letter to the needs of each lawn. I have been keeping notes from the start of this season...time to put them to use.
    Thanks

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would double mow as well. The mowing reflects apon you if you do a poor job or a good job.

8. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

This is my first season in the business. I take pride in my work and have been double mowing. I won't leave a lawn looking ragged. With so many mower jockies out there this is a tough business.

9. Tea to Green

Tea to Green LawnSite Member

This field is about 10 miles out of my normal service area and is not visable from any street. Price per cut is $80. What would you guys do?

Vic

10. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I always double mow to clean up the lawn. I raise the deck up and mow ones more, or even 3 times.

I have a ZTR so I go fast on the second and third mow. It doesn't take all that much longer. The end result has to be a nice looking lawn. Or the nicest you can make it. I never charge anymore.