1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

leave Michigan for Florida?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tight Angles, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Tight Angles

Tight Angles LawnSite Senior Member

I currently live in Michigan & own a lawn and snow service. Cutting lawns is very profitable up here, but I'm getting sick of the freezing winters. I'm thinking about packing up all my stuff and heading south. Now that it's winter it would be a good time to prospect some new areas. Can you cut lawns all year-round in Florida, and do you cut most customers every other week because the grass doesn't grow as fast? I'm well established right now, but young enough to take a risk and start all over if it's worth it. Any southern state would do.

Dixie Choppers
    350 residental customers
    some commercial and subdivision contracts
  2. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

well when u go ill buy your business
  3. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

yea u cut year around in florida, but usally november thru march u cut every other week.. it cold wear i am at but never stays cold... and never any snow.. there are alot of people here cutting grass but few last long or professional about there business
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

I WOULDN'T LEAVE LOWER ZIMBABWAY to move to florida. why on earth would you? you get to work all year long, but for lower wages. wanna make money, come to jersey.
  5. Tight Angles

Tight Angles LawnSite Senior Member

I guess its better to make money than worry about the weather, I'm just ready for a change.
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Tight angels, it might be warmer down here, but you will be working twice as long for a whole lot less money! I dont live in Florida but only about a hour away and from what the lco Ive talked to in florida the competetion is fierce and cheap. I can tell you where not to come, south Georgia! If you are well established I be dang if I would up and move. Rather be cold and making money than warm and broke.
  7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

During the summer weekly, this time of yr in some parts of Florida (my area) we have let some go as long a 3 to 4 weeks. The cold front really hit us here. One thing you will find diffrent is the rates per lawn from your state to here.
  8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I moved from Michigan (Canton) 3 years ago to Florida. I retired from GM after 32 years of building cars and trucks. When I lived in Michigan I cut grass during the summer on a part time basis. I came here and started a lawn care business that has grown to 65 monthly accounts. I could add more to it, but I'm happy working 4 days a week during the summer.
    Mowing is year round here, but it slows to every other week from November until March. The mowing prices in my area are lower than they are in Michigan. A lawn that will fetch $30 in Michigan will get $20 down here, so you have to operate very efficiently and carry more accounts to make a decent income.
    During the winter and early spring you can make a lot of $ on clean-ups and mulch installs. I've been mowing 1 week and doing mulch the next for about 2 months now and I've still got about 15 mulch jobs to finish by the end of February. I finished a 20 yard mulch job yesterday and have another 25 yard job to do Thursday and Friday. You can get $40-$45 per yard for plain Cypress mulch. Some of the local lowballers here are doing it for $30. I lost a 60 yard Red Cypress mulch job to a lowballer who did it for $35 per yard.
    You can also make a lot of money if you do tree work. The Hurricanes this past summer brought down a lot of trees and many tree trimmers are still cleaning up the downed trees. I spoke with a local tree trimmer last week and he claimed that he grossed over 850K doing trees last year with a crew of 3 tree trimmers. Over half of that was made from the Hurricane damage.
    I like it here because of the weather, but it is beginning to get crowded in a lot of areas in Florida. Lots of retired folks moving here everyday.The amount of new home construction going on is unbelievable. The roads are jammed most of the day and lot of senior citizens on the roads makes things dangerous.
    But ...there is plenty of work if you like working in very hot weather during the summer.
  9. No Sweat L/C

No Sweat L/C LawnSite Member

Come on down!! Join every other Tom, Dick and Harry Lco's!!
    Every truck you see has a trailer and mowers on it.
    Remember there is no fall leaf season, snow plowing or spring clean-ups.
    When you mow year round here you have to keep up with the extras at no extra for you. I live in a small county out side of Orlando and there is over 2,500 licensed lawn care company's. You won't need 3-60" Choppers, most new houses are so close together if you use that mower you will cut both side yards with one pass!!!
    My 36" mower is too wide for some most side yards and most yards are fenced.
    Most houses have more shrubbery than grass, hope you like trimming bushes every week!
    Hope you like nine months of 85 to 95 degree weather. You start sweating as soon as you walk out to your truck in the AM. Only stops when you are in the shower at the end of your day.
    No change of seasons, just hot to hotter with summer thunder storms. That usally start before 3pm. Central Fl is the lighting capital of the USA. People are hit by lighting almost daily in the summer!
    Come on down, join the party!!
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The difference in price can be overcome. It will take a while to get the right customers. The worst part is the employees, everyone "used to do lawns", and 99% of them are completly worthless. Its hot, but you get used to it pretty quick, and it sure beats snow and cold.