Leaves and a new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LB Landscaping, Sep 21, 2004.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Got a customer who desperatly needs his lawn renovated and wants it done now. Soil is very acidic and most of his back/side yard is bare. Anyway soil testing is out of the way, needs a ton of lime. Problem is this guy gets a ton of leaves, his property is surrounded with tree's. With leaf season so close do i have time to renovate and seed????

2. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

I've done this twice, same scenario:) Once on my own place. I plugged, seeded, put down starter fert, and topdressed with peatmoss. It took a little longer to germinate and when it just started coming up the leaves starting coming down. What I did was blow off the leaves, for the most part twice a day. Once before I left for work and then when I got home. My reasoning for doing this was so the plants could get the most light as possible. Leaves do block a lot of light. And I had to deal with two very large big-leaf maples and several mature alders so the amount of leaves was considerable. The advantage here in the PAC NW is we have a milder climate and grass will still grow after the leaves fall and will do quite well with the increased amount of light they receive do to the lack of leaves on the trees. Plus we don't often freeze very much and I kind of think that would be a problem for you in the near future. Is laying sod an option? Reason I ask as the second time I tried this here I had to charge the client 40 bucks a day for a couple of weeks to do the same thing (keep the leaves blown off) and I could of sodded it cheaper as it was just a couple thousand feet. And now to think of it I still had to overseed it in the spring. In both places I have to overseed twice a year just to keep the areas green. Hope I've given you some info to think about, and it did work for me here. Oly

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Sod is a good idea, I'll swing it buy him. I'd have to hit his house at least twice a day with all his leaves!!!!