leaves and gravel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vipermanz, Nov 16, 2002.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

what do you do when you have leaves on a gravel surface??, Rake, light on the blower throttle?, these little bas**rds are like missles!!

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

If using a backpack blower, don't go "deep dish". Use blower tube more horizontally to skim across surface rather than pointing tube more vertically downward. W/ push blowers, make sure deflector shield is parallel to ground or you may not have any gravel left.

Bob

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

The worst thing is my last leaf job last season was done on a gravel driveway the home owner had a current landscape maintenance company that would blow the leaves onto the gravel driveway for me to vac up with my leaf loader....BIGGGGG MISTAKE !!!! WOAH was that a big mistake once I got through the pile (8'X20'X5') hitting the bottom of the pile I was constantly sucking up gravel....I dont like leaving a job unfinished cuz it would look like crap so I went at it and it sounded like a military shooting range ! well anyway once I got back to the shop I checked out the impeller and it was nicked but not gouged or heavily damaged. First leaf job of this season same thing the remaining leaves still int he hose and in the housing were smashign around in there again. The one thing I want to check as im thinking about this is the impeller housing.

4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

when around gravel or even mulched beds I usually remove the extensions from my backpack blower so not to get the extreme force of the blower but still getting alot of air volume. I hold the extensions in my free hand until I need them again. BTW that only works if your backpack has the throttle on the tube side.:D Marc

5. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that on 1" sized gravel I can very carefully run my Walker over it and not suck up or throw rocks. It does a fine job of pulling up the leaves from the gravel. I haven't tried smaller gravel as it is so light I think it would go right with the leaves. Larger rocks are just asking for mashed blades and deck. Standard driveway gravel seems to be just right.

That said...running a mower over gravel can be risky business. You definately have to use common sense and judgment.

6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Light on the blower throttle. I could feather the throttle and blow leaves out of most any where.

7. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use this method ... it really is OK to shorten up the tube to get a less agressive airflow when at higher throttle ....

BTW ... this method works on ALL backpacks, you just have to be able to hold the tube and still use two of your fingers to work the throttle lever ... kinda like walking and chewing gum;)

8. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

I was just telling this story to someone when I read this so I will share with you all.
    Last year I was doing a clean up at a friends house, for free!!!!!!
    he had gotten two neighbors to sign so I did his for free.
    anyway, I was just unloading and he came out to talk, wanted to try out that big mower so let him. He started by running staigt for then over a line of rr ties!!!!!

Not that bad blades were not on so no damage to spindles or anything. I got on the mower and started in the back yard on the first pass he is following me aqround, I got to a corner in the back with only about 10 feet between a shed and the fence as I was turning I hit a pile of rock in the middle of the gate area. This sent the first rock ,in slow motion, into the shed, the second rock from only about 5 or 6 feet hit him right in the nuts......:eek: :dizzy: :eek: He dropped like a 2x4 standing in a breeze. My employee was laughing so hard he layed on the ground longer than the guy that was hit.

Maybe my mower was getting back at him for the rr ties?

9. ProLandscapes

ProLandscapes LawnSite Member

Rainman,

That is the funniest landscape story I have heard yet. Thanks for a good laugh.

JT

10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:D