Leaves and Tall Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 11, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

So I went to go do an estimate for leaves yesterday. Simple job, maybe take me about 2 hrs, $144. Well, it would be simple if they kept on mowing their lawn. The last time that they mowed their lawn was August, so the grass is pretty tall (not amazing tall), but still manageable. I doubled the price though, $288. She said that she would get back to me

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

When this sort of stuff happens a lot it can get you pretty worked up, or atleast I know it can do that to me. But anymore, I'm just to the point where I quote the price and forget about it. If they don't want to pay what I want for the job, they can have at it themselves or find some other dummy to do it for less.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree. I spoke with another customer today, in which I did a clean up for her at $216, and she basically said that she would have paid $250. She doesn't have to deal with it or the hassle

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That's exactly the attitude to have, mean and cold as it might sound if you do not do this, you WILL get skru'd. H3ll yeah man, I dun been down this road SO many times, and it just doesn't matter but there are exceptions to the rule and those are the ONLY ones I want to work for, all the rest can feel free to kma.

The bonus is: If you quote high enough now, MOST of THEM kind of folk will remember you come spring time and will NOT bother you during peak of season, giving you ample room to acquire the customers YOU want !
    Quote stupid or quote low now, and THOSE folk will tie up your phone and your time come spring and you will find yourself frustrated during the busiest time of the year.

It's true, I done been down this road one too many times. Take it for what it's worth, or find out for yourself if I am right or wrong (well I learned the hard way so if you do it, don't feel bad, but maybe it saves someone a headache).

Oh, there is one more thing: For those of you suffering now because of a money issue, remember the old-timer Lco's what they do is they SAVE their winter money as the NUMBER ONE priority we start saving right OFF in spring, most of us try to have our 5 or 6 thousand in the bank by June but even July or August is ok - Just remember, if you are suffering now, SAVE your winter money EARLY next year !! Having your winter money IN the bank when this schitt comes around allows you the 'take it or leave it' attitude, even if you got NO work, you will likely either not care or at the very least you will sweat a LOT less.

To me, leaves are the most frustrating time of year, not because of the work but it's always the SCHITT comes with it.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yup I was done saving my winter money in september, and frankly I don't want alot of leaf work, it's a pain and always hard to get a "Groove" going.
    I make more money mowing