leaves blew away from mower deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

I was having the same problem that several others mentioned: when mowing into leaves to mulch them, some would blow away from the deck, because of the wind produced by the blades.
    What has worked well for me, was to remove 2 spacers from the spindles, bring the blades (double, of course) up higher into he deck. No spacers now. Less wind blows out under the deck; the mulching is better than ever, and the cut is fine. Deck is about 5" deep, and the blades are now 1 1/4" above the bottom of the deck.
    Anyone else discover a better way or a "trick" that may benefit us?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about WITH mulching kits? (or atleast the discharge chute closed?)

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I slow the engine speed down just a little and it has kept the leaves from blowing while using my ultra vac system.

4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had double blades on my laser with my ultra vac. Wasn't working!!! Had to sacrifice, took off the double blades and just put high lifts on. Too much air flow with the double blades.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I get some blow out with my DC too,when using the trac-vac on really dry leaves,I am now using double gators.Im going to remove a set and see if it helps.

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found that using one regular blade under a gator blade is working well on the leaves. My theory is the regular blade is providing the right vacuum to get the leaves into the deck and the gator pulverizes them. (I was using double gators up until the leaves were not vacuuming well) One other thing to check: make sure the mower deck has a slight pitch forward (positive pitch) instead of level or backward (negative pitch). The mower decks are designed to vacuum best with a positive pitch.

7. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the info BRL. I did not know that.

8. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

same here-
    I have to idle down when using my Trac Vac to about 30-40% throttle to keep the leaves from going all over.
    Another trick to maximizing piles of leaves is to take vac chute off, mow & discharge leaves 3-4 times until they're chopped up, then put vac attachment back on & suck em up.
    Gets alot more into the barrel/bag.

9. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

Yeah, thanks for info BRL, I'll have to make sure my JD 36" deck has positive pitch as well.

10. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

I have great success mulching leaves by using reverse more than forward. The leaves seem to be pulled into the mower much easier. Keep the windrow to the left of the machine and only take half a deck width at a time and back up. Works great even without a mulching kit.