Leaves blow out front of WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

Solutions to this problem have been discussed before; but could not find info doing searches.
    So, here goes. I have a Bunton 52" hydro WB, high lift blades on the bottom, Gator magnums on the top. (in conjunction with Grass Gobbler/Leaf gobbler bagging). Problem is, most of the leaves are blown away from the front of the deck, instead of going under it. I remenber others had this problem. How was it solved?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Either take off the double blades or slow down the rpm's a bit. You have lots more air movement now, so slowing down the rpm's will help.

3. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

John Deere makes a mulch kit for their
    wb and it comes with two rubber flaps
    that mount to the front of the deck
    to keep debris in the deck. I found
    out that this helps with the bagger on and
    helps with striping, so I leave them on all
    the time, like a small L-shape bracket
    with a 2 inch rubber flap hanging down.
    might want to check it out...or not.

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Wayne,
    I also have a Bunton, 54", that I bought new last April. Not sure if we have the exact same mower but I was also having the same problem as you. Definitely take off the high lift blades, and just use the gators. That is what I used last fall and this spring and it helped out alot.

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Also make sure that your deck has a positive pitch. This means that the front of the deck is lower than the back of the deck. If the front of the deck is higher than the back of the deck, this is negative pitch and creates blow out at the front of the deck.

6. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

take off the doubles and go with gators. its good advice