1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leaves: Customer vs Landscaper Discussion

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Darryl G, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That picture of the sand looked like a snow storm... that's a lot of sand and I don't think us teenagers would have been running around, offering to clean that up...
    Sea salt a big issue???

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah the sea salt will kill all the lawns that it got onto. They tend to struggle as it is just due to sea spray. Many of the lots down there are small and have no grass at all...just gravel, concrete or asphalt with maybe a small back lawn. I don't typically service the immediate beach area because there's literally nowhere to park a trailer. I mowed beach lawns one day a week running out of just the truck when I first started out, but I got tired of dealing with the issues that arose working for summer-only residents.

3. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

After doing my rounds this past Monday - I got two emails from customers thanking me for keeping their yards looking so nice - I think we operate very similarly.

4. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

How many clean ups were you able to do in 1 day solo with your rig though? Seems that being able to offer curbside pickup (in my area) would be a hot service! If you have to maintenance the property too, then route where you could have 2 trucks and 2 employees---1 with equipment and 1 with debris---we do this frequently for larger clean up jobs where debris must be removed.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I typically only do 2 or 3 cleanups a day working solo when I get to the point of final cleanups. Most of my accounts are 2+ acre lots with a wooded border that I can blow or dump the leaves into, but they get a lot of leaves. I only have a handful of accounts where I have to haul leaves away. Only one of those has a lot of leaves.

I don't usually have time to be doing curbside pickup. Every year I tell myself that when I'm done with all my regular accounts I'll go chasing piles, but usually I'm running flat out until the week before Christmas trying to get everything done for my regulars before winter sets in. By then it's kind of late to go chasing piles. Besides, my leaf box is now skateboard ramps, lol.

I think it's all about knowing what your options are and trying different methods, but sticking with what works for you given the properties you service and the equipment you have. Some people from other areas can't believe that I just blow and/or dump the leaves on the property, but if you saw them you'd understand why.

I have 6 accounts in this subdivision....lots of leaves but lots of places to stash them too! That's an interactive link so you can move around and zoom in/out. The brown areas are pretty much all trees, but the photo was probably taken in the spring when the leaves were off. Not exactly a cookie cutter subdivision. One nice thing is that fences are pretty much nonexistant :)

http://binged.it/SUzJkq

6. bobbycat02

bobbycat02 LawnSite Member

Starting in the month of OCT we switch from high lift blades to gator blades and start lowering the mowers 1/4 of an inch each week until we get to 2.5 inches then we mow till OCT 30 then we cut every two weeks till we get to their clean up.We start Nov 15th regardless how many leaves are down you have to start some were very short window of operation about 35 to 45 days before it snows or rains a lot so cant make everyone happy so if customers say i want to wait till they all come down my response is okay but when we come if you want to wait we might be back before bad weather arrives and they don't get done its not are fault we will do it in the spring. I will not do clean ups in the winter my leaf loader dose not like frozen wet leaves. So do the people that want to get done and make money while you can because down here we don't always get snow to plow and its a long 3 months when your broke and no money.Don't let the time wasters cost you jobs and money move on the next ones that are willing to pay and for people who don't get done cause they waited it will be more money in the spring wet water logged leaves from winter to wet spring leaves = more time more money that's what i tell them after hearing that they will be more inclined to do it when your there it always works for me pay now or a lot more later your choice not mine dosen't matter i make money one way or the other.:usflag: