leaves dropping on spaded oak trees

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lone star lawn manic, Feb 4, 2004.

1. lone star lawn manic

lone star lawn manic LawnSite Member

i have been installing 4" to 5" spaded oak trees with 12' of hight the leaves have dropped on 6 out of 10 trees branches are still green the tree farm i got them from is using a 36" spade im getting the trees for 125.00 dollers so its hrad to pass up the trees will these trees live and what can i do to keep this from happening that is the biggest spade thay have

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

many factors can be involved in this. It could just be the climate that is causing them to drop early. Check the soil, the planting depth, mulch, if there is girldling, check other trees in the area, look for insects, disease, etc. Are they getting watered from where they come from? How are they being transported to and from site? Are they getting watered at where they are at now?

Make a check list and go through and answer everything. A process of elimination. Before you can solve problem you have to id it.

3. lone star lawn manic

these are live oaks temp ranges from 30 to75 right now from the top of the root ball its planted 2" out of the ground 2" of mulch thickness 3'out from the tree and mulch not touching tree the trees are going in new houses two per yard but the ones across the street doing just fine no insects trees are healthy at farm lot of water transported on a 30' goose neck tied down and covered with travel tarp when i put them in i put about 15 gallon on them thay drop leaves 2 to 3 days after thay have been put in builder may not be watering enough

4. tiedeman

from earth

I would check with the owner. Perhaps even offer a price to come over to water them daily. If they are going to put trees in, they might be offering to pay you to water them.

5. lone star lawn manic

how about a treegator ever tried them

6. tiedeman

from earth

I have never tried them, but drip systems are usually the best types of irrigation for trees. Maybe give it a try and see what happens.