Leaves. How do you mostly deal with them?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Marcos, Dec 7, 2009.

?

Leaves. How do primarily do with them?

Poll closed Mar 7, 2010.
  1. Mulch as many as possible back into turf.

22 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. Vac & haul off

16 vote(s)
    19.8%
  3. Blow, rake, & haul off

12 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Blow into adjacent wooded areas

11 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. A combination of methods

36 vote(s)
    44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Now that most of them are down around the country I suppose it's apropos to get a lawnsite poll on dealing w/ the often cumbersome job leaf removal.
    (You may vote for more than 1 method.)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

We pretty much blow them out of beds and away from perimeters and suck them up with the bagging mowers, dump them by the road, and vac them up. There are a few times where we blow them into woods, or blow them right to the road to vac up, just depends on the situation.

3. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Def depends on the situation, I have customers who only expect them to be blown into their woods on their property, its just they don't have the time or equipment to do this themselves, others mowing over the fallen leaves and mulching them up is good enough but others require vaccuming them up so that there are no leaves left on the property and these are hauled off to my dumpsite...according to what labor/time is invested I adjust the cost of the job for them....

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i either blow them into the woods if there is a spot and thats what the customer wants or i blow to the street and vac up and haul off

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Use the backpack blower to clean them out of beds and corners and then run the mower over them and bag them up. I just dump them direct in the truck. However, if there's a lot of leaves I will run the mower over them with the mulch plug on the deck to grind them up, then go back over it with the blower on the mower and suck 'em up.

6. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the job, sometimes I blow and tarp. Sometimes I blow and vac. Just depends on my mood sometimes too haha.

7. donaldig

donaldig LawnSite Member

Mostly blow it out

8. T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks LawnSite Member

Snow pushing shovels work good as well.
    The short wide kind, looks more like a small plow blade.
    You can walk faster than blowing,
    Shovel then use the blower for clean-up!

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

first i go through the mulch beds and hardscapes getting the leaves into the turfed areas. then i put the bagger on my mower and start mowing. i don't empty until i've been through all the turfed areas. once the bagger is full it mulches the leaves up a bit. then i can go back with the bagger a second time and actually bag them in the catcher and dump them in my pickup bed.

10. bighaydenslawn

bighaydenslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Mostly just mulching for me, then taking the blower around the lawn and in corners to clean things up. I dont get many leaf cleanup calls, just the ones for my mowing clients.