leaves in flower beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mr. k, Nov 20, 2003.

1. mr. k

mr. k LawnSite Member

hey guys, i'm relatively new to all of this and i was wondering what is the best method for getting leaves out from the flower beds (especially the beds tucked into the corners of the house). any advice would be appreciated. thanks

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

We use rakes to get the heavy debris, then go through with the backpack blowers and get everything out onto the lawn, then use the Little Wonders to push leaves to the street or into the woods, depending on the account.

4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

blowers and if caught up in bushes use hands to remove..

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a backpack blower.

6. mr. k

mr. k LawnSite Member

thanks guys, but i have been using my backpack blower and when the flower bed is in a corner of the housethe leaves seem to get stuck in the corner, and yes i can use full throttle, but that seems to blow mulch, dirt, etc all over the place. i was just wondering if there was an easier way than picking them up, then blowing the rest out of the bed.

7. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

buy a little echo leaf sucker, they are about 150 bucks and they convert to a normal hand blower in the mowing season

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I used to have kind of the same problem. I just do my best to finesse them out of the corners with my blower. I've found that with my 7001, I can corral them into one area in the flowerbed and blast them through a hole between shrubs no problem.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

When you are blowing, and appraching a corner, you then skip and go right to the corner, and move outward from there. The same applies when you are blowing walks off after cutting. So often, I se people blow full blast right up to the porch, then, they have all this debris fly up that they have to stand there and wait for it to settle. When approaching the object, be it a porch, or whatever, shut down - go right up to (or on) the porch, and resume at low rpms until out in the open. Anyway, with flower beds, when using a blower, you have to beat the stuff out of there by shaking the blower tube and actually working it. Many people stand there, and expect the blower to do all the work just by waving the hose back and forth slowly.

10. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

I just back into the corner against the house point the nozzle toward the ground behind me and increase rpm's as needed and the leaves blow right out in front of me!