leaves included with mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snap12.5, Jan 5, 2005.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

how many of u actually blow leaves off the lawns with the regular mowing? a few companies around here will blow leavers off lawn into beds and surrounding areas for free in order to mow grass, but only charge leaf removal for beds. with the size of some lawns around here, just to blow the lawn off would add up to 1 additional hour of work (with 8hp little wonder) for a $50 (25,000 sq feet) sized lawn. why do some companies do this? why not charge for the lawn and beds?

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I have somewhat of a simple formula that I go from.

If a lawn takes an hour to cut - hourly rate
    If it requires blowing of leaves to make it look right - billed 2 bucks a minute over the average mowing time.

Haven't ever had a problem with people paying as long as you justify it on the bill.

On the contracted accounts it's all built in. If we blow the leaves and pick them up, it's easier when it comes time for the major cleanup.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

CHARGE FOR EVERYTHING!!!!! why would you NOT CHARGE extra for leaves? it's a completely different service. do you charge extra for mulch instalation? for shrub trimming? for irrigation instalation? YES, we charge accordingly for leaves

4. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

thanks for the replies. there is one house i will be bidding on that currently has a company that clears the leaves off the lawn before mowing every week. these people want me to mow their lawn and with a reasonable estimate i will get it. however, i know that they will say, "blowing the leaves off the lawn is included right? my last company did it like that. they only charge to get leaves out of the beds" -what should i say to this?

5. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Built blowing into your weekly maintenance price.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

snap, you tell them that the mowing fee is xx per week, and the season runs from april thru october, after that, the service changes to leaf cleanup at which time the leaves will be cleaned, and the grass mowed. then tell them leaf cleanup will be xxx, this price is for the month of november

7. Mr. C

Mr. C LawnSite Member
    from Miami

Don't even discuss it with them if they don't bring it up. Just include the price for blowing the leaves with their monthly charge. Have it listed in your proposal but with out an itemized charge for it (like everything else). If they ask is leaf blowing included you can then say yes. If they mention anything about what the last company charged then ask them why are they looking for a new service.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

can i ask how you incorporate a leaf cleanup fee into a monthly mowing fee? if it's $30 a cut, what do you do, divide say, a $300 leaf cleanup into the weekly mow fee to "hide it"? this would drive the weekly mowing fee up by about $10 a mow, and blow the guy right out of the water, cus his competitors are quoting $30

9. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

this is what i do mow the grass on weelky basis, nov comes blow bulk to flower beds for 3 weeks bag some just to look nice.the 4th week nov charge for laef clean-up by that time the customer usually acks if you can clean up leafs.. how much...there u go then dethatch and seed or aerate seed..+ winterizing....it's good to target uper-middle class working indiviuals for this kind of service plan. thus triple or more the moneys for that month

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Seems to me that if they blow the leaves into the beds and then clean out later they are doing double the work.If it took me an additional hour to blow off the lawn so I could cut it then thats what they would be charged for.