leaves leaves and more leaves

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mowZ06, Oct 29, 2010.

1. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Anyone have jobs where they drag the leaves with big tarps with backyards far from the street. This yard is full of hickory and oaks. Im lucky the city takes them away from the curb. I filled the whole island completey around out front this time. Still not done they have a pool area that is fenced in and its covered also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ohdad34

ohdad34 LawnSite Member
    from NE OH

dude, tell me you're not pulling that tarp by hand when you have that Laser. you're kidding right? Uhmm, drop the deck and push the leaves with the laser. It acts much like a 60" bulldozer. Now mind you, certain leaves and wetness decides how successful this will be but tell me you will at least try it before you pull your next tarp to the street? Please, do yourself a huge favor.

3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Pull the tarp full of leaves. Its way easier. Use the eyelets.

4. ohdad34

ohdad34 LawnSite Member
    from NE OH

By hand? with the mower? If with mower do you hook and unhook each time to the street?

5. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

The mower is doing the pulling. I have a large brass hook that is easy to release hooked to a rope thru the eyelets. No way would I pull that by hand.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  6. M&S_Lawncare

M&S_Lawncare LawnSite Member

Could make more $$$ by either hauling them or getting a vac system. You would not have them unsightly piles hanging out in the front to blow back in when the winds pick up and the lazy city guys dont come by to get them !!!!

Like said before drop the deck and push them to the road and save your tarp to cover them when you haul them away and make the $$$$$

7. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Pushing them makes no sense. The back yard is in a low area and to far away anyway from the road. To many to haul away and to much trouble and time involved to do that.

8. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that trying to "push" with the mower is a waste of time on a job like this...maybe on some jobs it would work but here the mower would be leaving so many behind on each push you would be going back and forth like a maniac trying to get them all. A big tarp and pulling them with your mower is a best method in this situation. Then just bag the leftover leaves and you're done.
    A walk behind blower would also be a help in this situation rather than tarping.
    Once you get your major pile out by the street you could use the mower to concentrate the piles by pushing them together.
    No matter what leaves may need to be handled differently on any given property.
    One question...how long do the leaves sit in the street before the city takes them? that could be a major pain on a windy day with them sitting there!

9. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

They pick them up every few days. I used my back pack blower and made some strips that helped also. The job went pretty smooth actually. Wait till you see the pool area I have to clean and pull tarps thru a small fence door.

10. ohdad34

ohdad34 LawnSite Member
    from NE OH

See, apparrently you guys have no experience pushing leaves. When the piles are too big for the blower, no matter what kind of blower you have, I can push two tarp fulls by the time you mess around with your tarp. The pile builds as you push and the guy running the blower gets whats left. I'm not pushing two inches of leaves? Two or three feet! But whatever, keep on tarping! I stopped tarping about 1990. Yes, I use a backpack and a walk-behind blower.