Leaves, Leaves, Leaves !!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by galusham, Mar 17, 2006.

1. galusham

galusham LawnSite Member

What is the best way to pick up and dispose of leaves? I had my 1st bad experience last week. 1st, I way underbid this job as I had not done leaves before. It was a very large fenced back yard w/ some woods. The guy actually wanted me to rake the leaves out of the woods and get rid of them?? I didn't argue, quoted $200, and started working. After 2 hours and only finishing a small portion, I informed him that it was much more work than I thought and I would only be able to finish a small portion for $200. He agreed and I ended up doing about 6 hours worth of work w/ a helper (my nephew). I worked that long b/c there just wasn't a good stopping point. Well, I learned my lesson, but still don't know of a good way to get up leaves. I raked and hand bagged about 50 bags !!! Ouch. Then to make it worse, the dump made me cut open each bag and hand empty it in the leave area? That's a new one on me. Next time I won't ask, I'll just pretend it's garbage. What a pain!!!

So what's the best way to get up lots of leaves?

Thanks
    Mark

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

dont rake, blow.......then mulch em up acouple of times and collect with large mower

3. galusham

galusham LawnSite Member

Would you mulch them up w/ the mower itself or some other cool device that I wish I had? In this particular fenced back yard, I would have had to use a small walkbehind mower to fit through the gate. That too, would have taken a lot of time emptying the small bagger 50 times or more.

Anyone have any experience w/ any type of large vacuum collection system. Even w/ one of those, you still have to have a way to get them into your truck.

There has got to be a better way.

Thanks,
    Mark

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Leaves are a night mare in my area no one want's to pay what it's worth we just mow every week and this cuts em up.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Shred and mulch them up with your mower and then pick-up with a vac. If its a big big area, a walkbehind little wonder blower is great for that type of work!

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you should stay away from leaves until your set up properly to do them. There is nothing worse than losing you A** on a job. I bet you won't do it again.

7. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Leaves arent a big deal where I live but I do a few properties that have a lot of leaves. I dont want to spend a lot of money on leaf loader etc either. We just blow all the leaves to a big pile and take the crappy 21" (only size I have w/mulch kit) and run the pile over a bunch of times. Then we tarp whats left and dump in back of truck, saves a ton of space and I dont have to buy any additional equipment. Good luck

8. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

It's the same around here, my biggest problem in fact. People don't want to do them and they don't want to pay what it costs to have me do it. I do my own customers but that's about it.

9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I put the OCDC down on my 260Z and mulch the leaves and suck them up with my grass and leaf gobbler on my walk-behind. Saves so much space and also makes it easier to start making mulch. That's the system that works best for me and was also pretty cheap. I'm not a large operation, and if I was I would probably think about a trailer with a leaf vac on it and buy a collection system for my 260Z and get those leaves up real quick.

10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

if they really want them bagged, charge 8.50 per 50 gallon trash bag. i've found that this number makes it worth while.