Leaves, mow'em rake'em mulch'em ?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Stan MI, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

I have a large yard with several mature tree. In the fall I usually cut and pick up the leaves with a Trac vac.

Would it be better for the grass to mow them with mulch blades and not pick them up. As long as there is not too thick of a layer. Don't have any neighbors close by so where they blow is not an issue.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

all of the above. If there's not too many, mulch them. If I have time, I mulch them, then go over it again to pick them up.

3. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I vote to mulch them. Leaves break donw fairly quick. As they drop you should also be dropping your mowing height down too. So the last mowing, which should be at about 1", you will mulch the leaves VERY well and should hardly notice them. Mulched leaves are great for the soil.

4. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Either method works. Just depends on how much time you have and how anal you are about after-cut appearance :) Obviously, vacuuming up the leaves gives the cleanest appearance but at times, it seems you can get the yard clean then 30 mins later it is covered again, looking like you've never touched it. If you mulch, I was told once that those Gator blades with the serrated airfoils shred leaves pretty well. Haven't tried this out, just going on what one of the local equipment dealers told me once.

5. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Take the leaves off the lawn. You will not get enough benefit for the mess of chopping and leaving them.

I cut more frequently when possible to make leaf loads lighter, hence I am able to bag more square footage of yard and save from having to do one large clean up at the end of the year.

Slow and steady usually wins the race of the leaves.