1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaves On Lawn Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GravelyGuy, Nov 1, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

How long before you guys say your not mowing anymore without a leaf cleanup? Here is one that was borderline today. I think this is to many leaves to do a normal mowing. What do you guys think? They were actually pretty thick in person, the pics never do justice.

Janet B 001.jpg

Janet B 002.jpg
  2. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

I was thinking about the same question all day. The way I see it is if you have to pull out a rake or a backpack to get the leaves off the lawn, it shouldnt be mowed and can wait until fall clean up. I've got a few I have to take care of tomorrow and if I do go ahead and mow it, I will blow most of the heavy leaves off and then mow. This will be the last "maintenance" work and then Fall Clean ups are here! :dizzy:
  3. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I would cut it and cleanup the leafs on the lawn accordingly. I also always charge more depending on how many leaves there are and how much extra time it took. When I leave the lawns look perferct but the beds usually wait for the final cleanup after all the leaves are down. Some customers want a full cleanup everytime i'm there, but always charge for the extra time.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh no that's way too many leaves, pictures or not I know that much.
    Now I do have my push blower loaded and that helps, but even a strong backpack will do, the customer gets a discount because it's 2-in-1 services (~$10 off because I don't gotta come out twice) so I clean the leaves and cut the grass all in one fell swoop, voila.

If they have to be hauled that's tough, but I'd pile them in the beds until you got enough to justify a full load, not much sense in making a half a load out of it then having to leave your equipment there and come back for it and all that crap.

But if they just go in the woods, something like that likely cost 40-50 maybe 60 bucks, assuming it's a $35 grass cut they're likely looking at ~$70 for the whole thing, see ya in 2 weeks and then maybe one more time but from here on out it's mostly leaves (maybe one more cut) so likely run a total of 140-150 maybe $200 IF it needs cutting again (and without hauling).

I used to know a guy who did it different, he would bag the entire lawn (which takes care of the leaves), one cut / week and in a month be done, double the normal price, in this case $70 x 4 = 280... Not really sure if my method is cheaper, it just happens to work out like that now and here, but in real life I wouldn't be so sure.

Takes time to get like that, but way I do leaves is "regular customers who have been with me at least the ENTIRE season" first, usually by the time I'm done with that I got little time left for anything else but that's just how it works out. This is the kind of thing might come in handy for next year, such as if you need the work now.

And if they won't / don't want to pay extra, you have to make that choice, do what you must if you have to, else put your foot down.

Peace out, good luck.
  5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

we started cleanups this week
  6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I just add 50% if they just want me to mulch the leaves, typically around double of they want a full-on fall cleanup ($35 cut means $75-80 w/ clean-up).
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I just tell all of my customers if leaves become too many to do a normal mow then we blow them off and charge however long it takes us. Just remember, you didnt put the leaves there.
  8. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I don't fully understand the question. Our customers hire us to take care of their properties. If they look like crap because they are covered in leaves then we do something with the leaves. Does the customer only allow you to deal with the leaf problem once this fall?

Just as a side note, double Gators and a chute blocker would clean that yard in a hurry.

9. Portmax29

Portmax29 LawnSite Member

I agree with Scott here. When we go out a put the bid its for full maintenance on the customers landscape, leaves are included. In the winter the lawn don't grown as much but there is always something to do, thats how our money is always coming in.
  10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Ha. Wish I could charge extra for that. Around here we just have to eat it. I mow through maple leaves a foot thick... I just mulch the crap out of them and then go back around with the bagger afterwards... REAL EFFICIENT. :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: