1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

leaves on the lawn but not time for fall clean up?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Clear-Cut, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

what do you do when it is mid october and there are a decent amount of leaves on the lawn but it isnt time for the full fall cleanup?

do you just mulch it and leave it on the lawn?

do you bag it with your mower?

do you blow the leaves and throw them in the truck/leave them at the curb?
    (if you do this what do you charge in comparison to a full fall clean up)

for a full fall cleanup i clean out the beds, blow the leaves and leave them at the curb and pick up any debris. i usually do this when the grass goes dormant. I charge an hourly rate of $30 an hour for cleanup (dont tell me that it is too low, this is the going rate in my area).

so what is the best way and what do you charge per man hour?
  2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

Here in ca. we just do a little each week. Make the customer happy. But also we mow all year long with only a few missed mows per year. But if you can do a little bit per week without much more time then what does it hurt?
  3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Start your fall cleanups now. Don't wait until they all come down. I have a couple of properties that already have had leaves done on them two times. A third time this week if we can get to them. If you are in area that has curbside pick up leave them there.If you have to haul them away then do that. Don't leave money sitting out there.
  4. Clear-Cut

good call....

but how i charge for fall cleanup is $30 an hour with a minimum of one hour

so if it only takes me 20 minutes to clean everything up and put the leaves at the curb then its still $30. should i still charge $30 min? i have done a couple so far and it only takes about 30 minutes to clear the lawn so i was just charging $15

what do u guys think?
  5. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

15.00? just charge a flat rate of 30.00/hr with a 1hr mim
  6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If I blow the leaves off before I mow, I keep track of the time and charge accordingly. If I collect the whole lawn, then I track the total time and compare it to just a normal mow and charge the extra. Also, I would say your labor rate is way low. The cost of living has to be higher in N.J. than it is where I am in the boonies.
  7. Clear-Cut

well the yards that i do are 2000sqft to 3000sqft (3000 is considered a large lawn in my town)

plus im not really doing a full cleanup...all im doing is blowing the leaves off of the lawn. thats why i dont really want to charge the $30 because im not doing a full cleanup. i just dont think that would be fair to the customer

and i dont do a perfect job of blowing...i leave a couple of leaves on the lawn and let the mower just mulch it up
  8. Rax

Rax LawnSite Member

Are there any leaves that are harmful to the grass when mulched up?
    For example, are there any that are highly acidic?
  9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Pine needle is and excessive amounts of mulched leaves is not good either
  10. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Any one who has not yet decided on a fall clean-up plan just gets the regular mow. I have 10 bi-weekly leaf removal plans going right now. The leaves are falling!