Leaves stuck on the recoil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sledhead, Oct 7, 2005.

1. sledhead

sledhead LawnSite Member

I have a 14hp Kaw on a Exmark 48" wb. How do you guys keep the leaves off the recoil? The suction just holds them on there reducing air flow? Dan
  2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You generally experiece cooler temps now. Your engine can run just fine when its 100 deg, but now if you are in the 60's and 70's it can survive with reduced air flow.

Just don't let it get over 50% or so restricted. Use your "gut" feel, you know when its getting hot, intervene before it gets too hot.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Just reach over and take them off.

4. sledhead

sledhead LawnSite Member

Yep, I stop take it out of gear, and reach around the handles. Seems I need to do it every 10-15 minuets. I thought possibly there might be some type of a very coarse foam filter that would lower the suction by deverting the flow to keep the leaves off.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

FINALLY...words of wisdom from the goomball....

GEO :laugh: :laugh:
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i've seen a big filter like enclosure on some scags at my dealer, seems kinda ridiculous to me though.
  7. gman44

gman44 LawnSite Member

I blow the recoil out and sometimes remove it to clear debris. Ive seen some machines with a piece of flexible type screen over recoil and it seems to work ok .
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The electric start Kawi's have this problem also although there is no good reason it should.
  9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have two manual start KAW's and they both suck leaves to the recoil start.

it takes about a second to wipe them off when it happens.

the inconvenience of removing them is about like running over a fresh dog turd. it gets in the tires but it aint gonna kill you.

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a mulch kit.