Leaves: To Bag or Mulch

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by pyedog, Oct 6, 2005.

1. pyedog

pyedog LawnSite Member

Well, the announced $400 price increase pushed me over the edge - I just got a mini fastrac 17/42 for $3200. I figured $1000 off next month's MSRP is about as good as it will get around here.

I want to thank Pj/MowerConsultant for providing so much good information - you do a great job and the support made me decide on Hustler!

Now my problem is what to do about the leaves ... My back yard is medium wooded - and I get a pretty fair number of oak leaves. I've seen some of the postings about the Meg-Mo blades, and I like the idea of not having to bag, but frankly it seems too good to be true.

The other option is to go with the Accelerator Industries bagger ... but it's a bit more money and I'd just as soon mulch *if* it actually works well. I've had bad experiences with rear mounted baggers with wet leaves/grass, so I'm probably going to avoid the rear bagger ...

So, does anyone have any experience mulching leaves with a 17/42?

Thanks again,
    -Jim

2. jcasper

jcasper LawnSite Member

What I do is mow in a big circle going from the outside to the center. This way you recut everything many times. If you want to be pickey you can rake up the center part.
    Doesn't work with a rear discharge like my Hustler 251K but worked real well with a side discharge.
    Mike

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Congrats on the new mower, and welcome to the Hustler family!
    You should really go with our rear bagger, it works, and it works great!
    If you are to go with a side bagger, make sure it is going to fit properly and install a high lift "bagging" type blade on the discharge, these are available from your dealer.

Pj

4. FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN LawnSite Member

Then recut going from the center to the outside. The leaves will be even more finely cut and evenly distributed. For even distribution, stop one cutting width short of the outside perimeter. This does a nice job without a mulching blade or kit!

If you go over the leaves with the blade set at 4", it will pick up and chop up the leaves and large pieces, but will not pick up and blow around the tiny choppings, dust, and dirt! Also, in deeper areas the leaves will more easily go under the front of the deck, rather than being 'snow plowed'.