Leaves! Why is the wind always blowing the wrong direction?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Varsity L&G, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Those of you that use blowers for leaves ever notice this little piece of weather weirdness?

Damn leaves will not go were I want them too.

Maybe I am missing something. Kind of like I have always wondered how a sail boat can be blown from one end of the lake to the other and still sail back to were they started, the wind would no be working against them. Is there a trick to them there leaves?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Get a BIGGER BLOWER! lol! Days when the wind is realy howling it's fruitless to even try to do clean-ups. It's always so depressing when you clean up and area and move to the next only to look back and see what you just cleaned to be covered again... That and the wind is always going 10 different directions when fences, houses, trees, all are in the way of it. just when you think it's blowing north to south and you are facing south, it all blows back on you!

3. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are not doing this already, blow over the top of the leaves, not under them. Thats the only thing I've learned from blowers.

4. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Something I have learned is that my blower will blow leaves and debris 30 feet unless it is under the truck or trailer. Then it invaribly won't blow it out the other side.

5. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

You know I was thinking that today while trying to get the leaves out from under the car, the expo, and the trailer. I was determined not to move any of them though. I think there are still leaves under there. I was pissed.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You are correct, the wind ALWAYS blows the opposite direction.

I learned this in a yard where I could herd the leaves around EITHER side of the house to get them to the back. So I picked what would've been the easier route but of course, the wind was blowing the OTHER way. I said that's cool and turned around to herd them around the other side and the wind changed direction accordingly. And, no matter how many times I changed direction, so did the wind.

I found out over time, this is normal.

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I put the blower on the truck, use my Walker w meg-mos. Does a great job.

Ed

8. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I think this is one of the "Basic Trueisms of Lawn Care". And it has bugged the cr*p out of me for years.

Jim