leaves/wind/ and a short season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 3, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so tell me, oh wise ones, how do you clean leaves, when it's nov 3rd, the wind is howling at 30 mph, and freezing conditions will cut you short within 30 days? how can you make this service profitable, and keep your clients happy too? do u even bother going out when it's that windy? if yes, how do u make money, chasing leaves around the property?

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Shouldnt you know this.....you know everything

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Windy days and leaves make for a very long and unprofitable day. I tend to wait until the wind dies down.......of course I'm not making the millions on leaves that others are and they don't just "drop" down here.........takes em til the middle of January before they're all gone anyway. I don't sweat it.....pays the same year round anyway.payup

4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried to go out today.. i got two accounts done that dont have trees.Then i went to the third one.... I got about 3/4 of the heavy leaves off the lawn and into a pile, turned around to shut down the blower for a minute..thats when the huge gust of wind came not only did it blow the pile back onto the lawn but a huge wave of the neighbors leaves came along with it. At that point i said oh the hell with it and told the customer i would be back tomorrow.Thats how my day ended.

Its already Novemeber and we still cant start leaf cleanups.I have a feeling it will be snowing before we get to get many cleanups completed.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok, how is your client being charged for this?

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

it sucks I did it all day mowed a few did a few clean ups. They pay a fee that was predetermined then I knock a few bucks off cause can't get them as good as usual. but I know that when I get there so we kinda rush through it. Tell them we'll try again next week. Every year I think about not doing leaves. Money is good if the weather is their but it is also a big pita. I 'd rather aerate sept/oct/nov more money for me and less headache.

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we do a lot out in the country and just need to be blown off. just go with the wind and let it save you time. Of course some lawns we can't do that but makes it nice when we can.

8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im gonna eat the cost of me going out there today.I knew it was too windy but wanted to give it a shot.The lawn only takes about 20 mins to blow. Ill do it all tomorrow and charge him my normal rate Mowing + extra for the leaves i have to remove. Im still mowing so we are just doing a quick blow to get the heavy stuff up and mulching the rest.I will come back and do a full leaves removal later on.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

you're gonna eat the cost? enough said.

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i thought you were the consultant?