1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leaves with Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WoodBrothersLC, Oct 12, 2004.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Tomorrow will be the first time we're throwing the grass gobbler on the new stander for leaves. Any tips for leaves with standers are appreciated as we're always looking for ways to increase productivity. The new stander saved us 45 minutes on the 2.5 acre cemetary we do, 45 minutes on a spread out 6 yard route last thursday, and 1.5 hours on an 11 yard tight route last wednesday. So far we love it, so please send us some leaf ideas.

Thanks

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Which brand stander?

3. WoodBrothersLC

Wright, only the best.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Well it aint no deere, but it you want to collect leaves and leave the lawn completely debris free then Id run a catcher for sure which you have. Then depending on your hp, you could run doubles (probably a high lift and a gator per spindle). If you dont think you have sufficient power to run doubles, I run something like gator magnums or regular high lifts. You want a lot of vacuum and something that will throw the grass into the catcher best. Anything with a high wing/lift will give you those conditions. One thing I have noticed is that the more vacuum you create the less the grass will stripe unless you have a striping kit, because the grass is stood straight up and not bent to create stripes. In the fall though Id be more worried about leaving a clean cut than my stripes.

5. WoodBrothersLC

Thanks, and in regards to the deere, the only reason we didn't look at them is that the dealer we've bought 2 encore walk behinds and 3 JD14SB's from doesn't sell the JD standers, only the riders. Also, the hand controls for the JD are just like our friend's great dane, and the wright controls fit us a little better. We also liked the fact that there were a lot bigger tires on the wright with very deep tread for that gripping we need for some of our hills. And to top it all off the grass gobbler assembly is unbelievably easy.

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

What I found to work for us this week was going over the leaves first, then put the GG on, and bag the second pass around. I run single Raptors on our 48" Standers, no doubles... I tried this on some smaller yards that I didn't need the truck loader for, and it worked great. Blow the leaves out in the center of the yard, mow 'em up, then bag, and there should be nothing left. BTW-I am running ours with mulching kits 100% of the time, which leaves very little clippings here in Fescues and Bluegrass blends. You may not need a second pass, but when you dump the bagger, you'll see what I mean. Good luck with it! Will-itsgottobegreen- will probably find this thread soon and give some advice as well.Congrats on the Stander!!

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

BTW Mark, your time will get better and better with the Stander. Most of our accounts have been cut in half from WBs and a Z. :p

8. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Woody --- you definitly made the right choice. The JD's are front heavy. If you ever get a chance to demo one, try pulling the front end off the ground like you can do so easily with your Stander. With that extra weight on the front they are harder to turn and have less traction on hills.

9. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

How do you figure that a heavier front end would cause the deere's to have less traction? If anything its safer to have a heavier front end because you have less chance of having the front end lift when on hills where it counts. You cant just jump on a Deere stander and be a pro at it. They turn very well once you get the hang of the controls, so If your having trouble holding hills or turning Id say its operator failure not machine. And of course the deck on the Deere's are heavier, look at the difference in the design. You have an adjustable, floating, 7 Iron deck, vs a fabricated fixed deck. The mounting of the floating deck alone makes up a good portion of the weight. Also why would you want to do a wheelie with any lawn mower? Yeah they may be fun but they are not made for that. You would do a lot of damage to the whole mower (casters, wheel bearings, allignment of the deck, frame of the mower). Itsgottabegreen knows this first hand. He had to take the whole front end off his wright stander for repairs because of this. Also having a heavier front end helps keep the mower's cutting height level when accelerating, rather then lifting up and cutting the grass higher than desired.

10. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

I dont know what size tires come on the wrights, but the 54" and 60" Quik Traks come with 20 x 10-8 tires on the back and 13 x 5-6 front casters. Im pretty happy with them. Leave a nice foot print.

Yeah, the danes are very close in design, only they come with a fabricated floating adjustable deck not the 7 Iron decks.

I also have a catcher with a dust cover for the Deere made by accelerator. Made out of alluminum and it just lifts on and off. It also has a back door on the cather that allows you to add an extra catcher for leaf season when you need the extra room.

I really should post the pictures I took of my stander, I just havent taken the time to yet. There are many features on the deeres that leave the wrights in the dark.