Leaves.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K c m, Nov 5, 2005.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Running doubles of gators and a gator and high lift on my metro 48". In the spring did the same cleanup and came up with close to 100 bags. Well today i completed by myself fron side and back with 0 bags. Im mulching up the leaves to powder. My question: Is this bad for the lawn? its really making life very easy for me.

thank you.

rob.

2. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

You are actually suppose to leave the stuff on the lawn, it gives it nutrition, or so I have read.

3. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

how many leaves 100 bags worth will throw off the ph of the soil but a few is good for the lawn

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have been mulching to dust for years-no problrm-

5. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Yes its good for it, The decomposing matter (leaves, clippings) gives off nutrients and minerals back into the soil.:)

6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

wow i could swear i've seen you befor and did you steal your sig from 1 board lol it's snowmaker4191

ya i have been mulching for a long time doing tons of leaves nothing happens to the lawn just some people think it's bad

7. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what kinda lawns you are doing or don't really care .but i do know leaves will bring down th ph. in the soil over time . I have lawns that i mulch to some point but you may need to add lime if your soil test say so . I do test every 2 years on my clients to insure soil quality is correct.7.0 is great but it's hard to get that point ........I'am sure some of you guys will give me you opion on this ???

8. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

what do you mean man? you have seen me b4?

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The time you run into trouble with PH is with oak leaves. You can still mulch em but not huge piles. I will mulch oaks and then pass over quickly with the Walker to bag any excess. Its been working good for me.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

this is true -the only leaves that can cause problems for lawns is oak. i do what mow ed does when they are super thick if light i mulch them to dust