1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stslawncare, Sep 17, 2001.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

Hey guys,
    still have about another week or so till leaf cleanups start but was wondering what u guys reccamend for us smaller guys. I plan on having about 8-15 joba total. what should my method be? bagging? mowing? shredding? hauling?
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You'll get a variety of answers to this question.

My prefered method is to mulch everything down. The alternative method is to blow all the leaves off into a wooded area when I can. I never haul any leaves.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i myself usually do two large cleanups per house. i blow all the shrubbery out with the back pack and then blow off the lawn into the woods or haul it away. if you cant blow them into the woods and need them hauled away, call somebody to come suck them up for you. tack on an extra 10$ or so to the bill of the guy who sucked them up for your troubles.
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

You didn`t say what type of equiptment you had, but my idea would be if you have a mulching mower. As the leaves first start to fall, I mulch them weekly and charge the same as I do for cutting. As they start falling more, I do mulching and blow away from house, and out of the beds weekly, with the charge for cutting, and extra for time spent cleaning the leaves from areas. When they are falling a lot, I use my ultra vac or bagger and bag them and put them into wooded areas on the properties, or the city picks them up. If they need to be taken from the site then an extra charge for hauling and dumping. I do the jobs weekly. It is also good to charge an hourly rate for the cleanups, because it is hard to tell how long it will take to clean them up.
  5. stslawncare

from DE

my equipment list is small, 22" craftsman mower with bagging or mulching. and two handheld blowers, ones a craftsman the other is a little wonder but not sure if it works (given to me and havent needed it yet). there is a local rental place though that has pretty good prices. and i am looking to get another piece of equip that will help out a lot, but nothing major.
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

blow/rake out of beds on perimeter, use bagger on push and dump into 55 gallon bags or back of truck/ trailer to be dumped later. using your eqipment, this reduces labor and leaf volume the most. dave g
  7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I don`t know how the lawns are where you are, but here , the grass is still growing when the leaves start falling. He said he had a mower capabile of mulching, it would be easier to mulch the leaves until they get thick. As I said I do my lawns weekly, and the customers appreciate that there are not a lot of leaves setting until they all fall down.This way is much easier on my equiptment, and myself. I have some small properties and use a toro 21in super recycler to mulch the leaves up. This works great until they get thick, then you would have to bag them.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Once the grass slows down I will put the ultravac on the HP. Until then, I just mulch them and they are GONE!

For the large wooded lots that people wait until all the leaves have fallen to call you, I have another plan of attack. I blow the leaves out and then use the 36" exmark to chop them down into a dust and then take the lazer HP with ultravac and suck them up. Quick and easy. Very little WORK involved. It makes leaves "gold on the ground".
  9. stslawncare

from DE

sounds like a good plan of attack, now another question, there is one property that i do just landscaping and not the mowing. what do i do in this situation? also anyone have any nifty ideas on bagging? it is such a pain in the butt to fill up those bags!!