1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

leaving a line of grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeymike, Jun 28, 2003.

1. mikeymike

mikeymike LawnSite Member

I noticed that in high grass my snapper w/b is leaving a small line of uncut grass. I acquired my mower from my brother and I know he was ordering blades on-line. It has gator blades on it now but I cannot think of why it is leaving a line of grass uncut on every pass. It seems like it only does it in high grass or just maybe it does it all the time but it is just more noticeable in taller grass. My only thought is that maybe the blades are a inch or two shorter then what they should be. Any thoughts or advice???????
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

my old Kees w/b did that, come to find out the blade speed was too slow in higher grass..I adjusted the carb and the problem went away...Hope this helps

3. mikeymike

mikeymike LawnSite Member

hmmmmm that could be a thought...seeing as how it does not do it in lower grass.....
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Possibly your speed going through the tall grass. A mower cant cut but so much grass at a time so its basically laying over the grass and not cutting it all. Most mowers i have seen that go through real tall grass leave a strip of grass usually in the middle. If you double cut tall grass that will take care of it. I know my toro leaves a strip in the middle if going through high grass but if you slow down and have good sharp blades it takes care of the problem.
  5. MDMowing

MDMowing LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Make sure deck is level.
    I know on mine the blades have to be set at a 90 degree angle from eachother.

Make sure your blades are sharp, and go slow through tall grass.

6. High Country Lawn

High Country Lawn LawnSite Member

We always raise the deck up cut one way then lower the deck to the desired height and cut again in a different direction. Then make sure we get there before it gets that long again.