Leaving equipment outdoors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Aug 4, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I'm picky but I store my equipment in a dry place. Exept for getting caught out in the rain on a work day or washing my equipment never gets wet. I've seen several LCO's just leave them outside. How many of you don't keep your equipment under cover and why..? I have seen mowers at dealers with rust from being on display (still new) so it can't be good for them...

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't like it, but i don't have a storage building. in the off season, i cover my trailer with a tarp, but that's about it, unfortunately.

3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Some kind of shop or storage is a must!

4. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Storing inside is a good thing, Like Tocoma said you can see rust on alot of machines that are brand new at a dealer. Rust is going to happen but you can keep it to a minimum.

REV.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Have you considered one of the metal carports that sell for around $800? I think they call them porta-carports or something.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Ours are out in the open during the cutting season. They are covered in the winter. To date we have had ZERO rust problems. Once in a while we will tarp them up if they are calling for a solid day or more of rain.

7. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I tarp mine up every evening. Rain is not good for motors much less metal.

8. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i was actually thinking of building something similar this winter, just haven't decided yet. i may get a cheap metal building ($200 lowes version) and just pull my stuff off of the trailer and into it for the off season.

9. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cmon, fellas. Use Fluid Film on your outside equipment. That is one of the best uses for the product. Fluid Film is going to last two to three months protecting your equipment in inclement weather. :weightlifter: Water will NOT just wash it off, and it imbeds into the pores of the metal, creating a barrier of protection.

10. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

i unload my trailer every evening and put my stuff in a pole barn i built. i didn't build it to back a traler in though. i built it way before i really got going in this business. but i'm looking at this garage in a box thing from Northern tool and equipment 12 x 20 x 8 fabric over a metal frame. page 129 in their summer 2006 catalog. anybody have one / seen one / know someone who does??
    2 or three seasons for $279.00 would be well worth the investment
    if it would hold up two or three seasons
    it might be my next purchase