1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaving our Jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pepper, Apr 11, 2001.

1. pepper

pepper LawnSite Member

We are in our second season in this business. We have 26 accounts. Me and my Partner both also have full time jobs with great benefits. Right now it is very hard to find enough hours in the day to get our work done. Besides mowing we also have 3 landscape jobs resodding one yard and two cedar fences to build. We are working after 5pm during the week and dawn to dark Sat and Sun. We usually have 2 guys to help us on the weekends. It seems that pretty soon we will not be able to do it all without giving up our day jobs and we are both uncomfortable with doing that until we are sure we can make it financially. My partner is single but I am married with 3 kids and my wife stays at home. Since you guys are more experienced is there a better way to go about this or are we on the right track. Also our jobs will not allow us to go part time unless we take a 50% cut in hourly wage. Hence the reason we like working for ourselves. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. jrebeiro

jrebeiro LawnSite Member

I too will find myself in the same situation very soon. We have 3 divisions Lawn Care, Irrigation, and Construction. There are 3 partners and the construction is a seperate company with its own workers. We are about to sign a huge contract to sub-contract commercial irrigation jobs for condominiums. The other 2 partners are irrigation guys by trade and are going to have to leave the lawn care division to me. I work 40+ hours as a computer technician and will be forced to leave my job and do lawn care fulltime. However if we sign this contract I will be able to pay the bills and then some :) Only thing is what to do in the off-season.
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Keep your job. We just did a post about this so search for it. But man with three kids you need lots of insurance including dental and the other benefits a job offers. I havent figured out how i am going to pay for health insurance in ten year at 50. The price jumped 40$ a month just when I reached forty. Some people think they can depend on their spouses jobs to pay for their health insurance. What if she dies or loses her job? This self employed stuff is for the birds sometimes.
  4. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

I'm trying to grow very slowly. This is my second season and I don't want to get more than I can handle. So far this spring I've had somewhere to go and work almost every evening and Sat. in the past three weeks. I too have a good full-time job making about 40K a year with excellent benefits and it would be hard to leave there after 13 years service. My job is pretty laid back I do CNC programming of a very large milling machine. I tell people I go to work to rest. I like my job but the idea of being on my own sounds nice but I don't think I could afford the insurance as I have one child that has MD. It always going to boil down to your own decision. My Dad made it being self employed for 33 years in heating and air conditioning and we never went hungry but times have changed. My brother in law tried too start an outdoor power equipment company a few years back and failed but turned right around and landed an 80k per year job. So you never know what lies down the road. It would definitely be a tough decision to make.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Since your partner is not married, maybe he could go fulltime first to help grow more and then when the time is right, you can move into fulltime also.
  6. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Don't be greedy, do what you can and give up some of them jobs that are to time consuming.
  7. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

"I am married with 3 kid's."
    Time is of the essence
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I was in that position about 4 years ago, i was scared to quit my job, and finally did. Its the best thing i ever did.
  9. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Im with hoss on this one try and see if your partner will go full time since he is single. You have to think about the kids first. But not to get off the topic but Im fully against partnerships especially with friends.
  10. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Hoss also. Get your single partner to go full time first. Pay him for it though. Then build to where you need a employee to help him until it gets to the point where you can then replace the employee or keep the employee and grow more.

I also agree with JasonP partnerships are a tough row to hoe sometimes down the road. This is when it would show too! Your partner quits his job, and builds your business by working fulltime at your all business venture. He might get to thinking that he has done all the work and you just rode along. This is why I said pay him for it.

A freind of mine just bought into a chain resturaunt franchise with two other guys. My friend quit his job and will run the store for two years before the other two join him after opening two more stores. They have a contract that pays him very well for this sacrifice on his part which will pay off for the other two later.

Whatever you decide, good luck!