Leaving stringers in shady areas of St. Aug

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Aug 4, 2008.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I have always noticed in shady areas of St. Augustine my mower will leave stringers. I have narrowed it down to the blades of grass being weaker and therefore get pushed over. My mower just doesn't have enough vacume so its missing and leaving stringers. If I lower the deck I won't have any problems. but then the turf starts to thin.

My buddy has the same mower as me and he has the same issue. I should get with him about it.

Anybody else in Florida have this problem? Seems like the eXmarks don't have this problem.

2. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

You running a Toro?

3. South Florida Lawns

from usa

Yessir

44 SFS

4. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Ah. I was running a Toro Super Recycler as well as another guy on here. We were both stumped at how to get rid of those damn stringers. Such a pain.

I put some Gator Blades on it and it helped as long as I kept them sharp every day. I usually cut around 3"

5. South Florida Lawns

from usa

It cuts beautifully 75% of the time with factory low lifts. Just seems like shady back yards I either gotta dbl cut or leave the stringers.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Not in Fla....but I run a toro with sfs deck and gators are the best on those decks that I could find

wayne

7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Exmark with notched high lifts works great.

8. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I cut st. augustine and I don't have stringers anytime. I run a 48" cub with low lifts. I would try some high lifts. the toros don't have the vacuum that my scag has. The high lifts should take care of this.

9. South Florida Lawns

from usa

I'll slap the highs back on. The blades I'm using now have more blade surface area. i.e the sharp part goes almost the whole length of the blade. I was told by my dealer and a bunch of other guys to use that type of blade in the summer. As it cuts through the thick grass better, with out bogging as much.