Leaving the day job!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greeneakers04, May 4, 2005.

1. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

I am a very excited man today! I have enough business to quit my daytime boring day job. It has gotten very tough to keep up with getting new customers, doing the mowing, and working this job all day. I have very little daylight when I get off. It's time to move on. I gave my notice this week, and will be working early morning part-time for FedEx and then have all day to gain new customers, and take care of them properly. :blob3:

Anybody remember how great it felt when you were stepping out on your own, and do you have any advice?

Any specific pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks guys
    Brad

2. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

That is the same exact Idea I had, I was thinking about going to Fed Ex from 430am to 930am,then working on growing the business. I just cant talk the wife into letting me leave my extreamly good benifits. But on the other hand My Father is working on the business and building it quite well so far.

3. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Make the decision with extreme caution.

After all expenses, my first year, I made a whopping $10,000 before depreciation expense. The second year, everything doubled. Revenues doubled. Expenses doubled. I cleared $20,000 the second year before depreciation.

You can't ignore depreciation in this business. It is a very real expense.

This is a very tough business.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

4. greeneakers04

Thanks DFW for the words of caution. I have read all of your posts and can see where you are coming from. You seem to be in a very rough market. If you still have hair, then I am very surprised. I would have pulled mine out by now!

A A Green, I finally just had to ask myself what I wanted out of life. Is my dream to cut grass? No. Is my dream to sit in an office breathing recycled air? No. Is my dream to have benefits? No. Is my dream to achieve freedom from a job and boss and set my own hours? Yes. I will NEVER reach any level of financial freedom where I work. At least on my own, there is a chance.

Go to ehealthinsurance.com. I can get temporary ins (I don't know how old you are or your situations) for my wife and I for between $65-$150 per month. Or I can get an actual policy for as low as $105 per month. Health insurance is a scam, don't buy more than you need. Take a sec and think about how much you have spent on just your policy...Not counting copays, deductibles, etc. Thousands. We have been led to believe that we can't make it without the security of our jobs, and that we can't live without a huge health insurance policy. We are 22 and not generally very healthy, I am getting the most reasonable policy I can find....Hint: Not BCBS!

I never intended to spend my life inside, shut off from the world. My wife is a little scared, but she supports the decision. I repeat, IT IS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO EVER GET AHEAD WORKING A 9-5 JOB. THE OWNER OF YOUR COMPANY IS GETTING AHEAD. BE THE BOSS, NOT THE EMPLOYEE.

Read Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, and a slew of other books.

Follow your heart (within reason) and work, God will take care of the rest. Trust Him. Money and freedom are out there, go get them.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Hey man! Get ME a job there! I'm currently working 3rd shift at a convenience store in King and doing this in the day time. You'll probably see me in WS, I cut all the Kangaroos. See ya around!

6. greeneakers04

Tharrell, I would bet $1 that if you walked in, smiled, filled out the app, and made it a point to talk to the recruiter (because she won't talk to you) about the fact that you are specifically looking for the 3am shift, that she would at least get you to their little pre-employment orientation thing. When I talked to her, she just said, "Oh, you are looking for the early morning shift? Then be here tomorrow morning at 4:30 to get a tour of the plant and fill out some paperwork. You will then qualify for the job." It was kinda like an initiation to see who had the balls to come in the very next morning at the crack! I have worked for them (not in Winston Salem) before, and it was a great experience. I recommend them.

The only kink you may have here is the fact that their ad did not run last week in the Employment Guide.

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I went there and for me (29) my wife (35) and two kids: $679/mo :(

8. greeneakers04

Remsen, did you sort them by price? There will obviously be differences, age/kids/smoke, etc. The rates I have seen are VERY competitive with others I have looked into, especially considering the benefits I get now are group rates through a large corporation. I figured I would have to pay a lot more than what teh site quoted me.

Make sure you are sorting them by price after you pull them up. :)

9. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Life is to short to deal with BS, do what your heart tells you to do, it will get a bit stressful at times, no customers, but they will come if you do a great job...the freedom is all I want, money will come in time....what's the worst that can happen? Then you find a job.....I figured if I put as much effort into this as I have working for the "man" then I'm bound to succeed!! And so far it has......as for today....its raining......no stress.... Good luck!! :)

10. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I will try that.