1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaving trailers outside in the weather

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Nov 19, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I've always kept my steel trailer parked in an enclosed storage unit. However, for next year, I'm thinking of leaving it parked outside in the weather.

Good idea or bad? How bad do these things rust when left out in the weather?

Here is a picture of the very front of my trailer:

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a really nice setup and from the look of it your big thing it image. Looking good. If you keep your trailer outside it will rust, just try it one winter and you will see. The paint will get faded as well. All of your equipment will get weathered, its just not a good thing. If you can afford to keep the trailer sheltered it would be worth it.
  3. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I'm with drsogr, if you have the facility, why leave it outside? You have a nice rig and prolonged exposure to the elements will really show next spring. I'd leave it inside.
    Happy Mowing.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If you want it looking perfect and show quality, keep it in. If you have a place great. To me, its one of the tools. We use them to make money. Pretty clean and nice is good, but shinny and perfect tells some people you don't have enough work or you are new. I lost a job once because one mower and an employee were dropped off at a job before I met with a church committee. Guess what was on the trailer...a day old mower that was still almost perfect and clean. The statement was made that I must be really new at this and not have much work because my equipment was too clean and new. I didn't get the job.
  5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

keep the equipment indoors.....

I have to dissagree....i have gotten almost all of my clients becuase my equipment looks spotless. They are very impressed that i take good care of it. This is also valid for the look of the operators as well.

About your losing a church contract......i agree, you should have been there to "defend" your new purchase. You dont want to deal with churches, anyway. no loss there.
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

My trailers sit outside in the snow over the winter.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Feel free to disagree. As stated, its my opinion. But your profile says you have been in biz for only 1 year, so all your customers have been based on you starting out. Sure there are people that like nice new looking stuff and will comment on that. Its real easy to keep everything spotless the first few years in business, but once you get those really good customers built up, time for all that spotless cleaning will go away. Then it becomes a choice of spending non billable time washing or billable time working. Look at the larger companies in your area that get the good contracts. Most are larger companies that do good maintenance but the mowers are not all shinny. They keep them blown off, but not washed all the time. They get these good contracts by keeping the machinery in the field working not at the shop cleaning them.

Yes, there are some companies that sell their look, image and clean equipment. That will sell some things, but not all. To be competitive in pricing on the really good stuff you have to be efficient not shinny clean. Efficient is not washing equipment all the time, its keeping them well maintained so that you reduce downtime. Its keeping them running as much as possible. The more they run the more you spread your overhead/fixed cost out. The better your competitive pricing will be. The more you spend on non billable time the less you can spread your overhead/fixed out.

Oh, to the churches issue. I've had very good experiences with churches over the years. Sure a few can be problems, but I would take a complete customer list of churches and leave everything else alone if I could.
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

years of weather will kill the good looks of that trailer.

guess what I worked on this AM--my trailer...the wood and wires and paint don't do as well being stored outside as in.

GEO :)
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I repaint my trailer every 2 years so it always looks good. Been sitting outside for 8 seasons now and a guy offered to trade me his virtually brand new 16 footer for my 12 footer and $600. 16 footers go for $2000 here. Since I only paid $1200 for my trailer I figure I actually made $200 above and beyond the original cost on my old trailer. I need the room since I just bought another 60" Dixie.
  10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I leave mine outside all winter, never noticed any rust it does fade a bit in time but i repaint it about every two years anyways.