Lecso owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shuter, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking to get a new 36" walk behind. I am considering Exmark, but do to the price difference I looked at Lesco. Lesco is $800.00 cheaper. I now the differences betwen the two, and you can not compare them exactly, but for the money and for what I do, Lesco seems my better choice. My dealer is only 3 miles away and I already by my fertilizer from him. Just looking for some opinions on Lesco motor.

I found the Lesco to be sturdier and I will have to muscle it around more. Motor difference is exmark 12 hp and Lesco 14hp.

Not sure which to choose. I only 15 accounts/week so I do not need a high production machine.

2. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I believe the Lesco would suit you just fine for only 15 accounts per week. I have a lesco 48" Hydro walk behind with the sulky and have had no problems whatsoever. It all depends on your budget and your preference. I would maybe demo both and then make your decision.

Adam

3. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

The motor on the Lesco should be a Kaw. The only caveat I have about Lesco (based on my experience with my dealer) is that they are a fert/chem company. My Lesco dealer does not have equipment service capability, only common spare parts, no mechanic, virtually no tools.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

A bigger motor, and cheaper. I would get the Lesco. I have 4 of them and we cut about 100 accts' a week with them. Holding up strong. The only problem i have had was on my 48". I had to weld the deck where it separated. For 15 accts, I would put the extra $800. towards more equipment. Get more for your money! :D

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

14 Kawi is a great motor. I have one on my 48" Scag that now has 6 seasons on it, just keeps going.

6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been pretty happy with the two Lescos we have 48" belt w14kaw. They have a zero down time policy and I've used it a a couple of time. They stock a lot of parts and if you do your own mechanic work that's good.

Two Questions for Lesco Owners:

1) Has anyone else had problems with the rear axle breaking in half (happened twice - they waranteed it both times)?

2) Does anyone else get a lot of debris blow-over on the front deck. The grass shoots out up and over onto the deck a lot on ours. I fabbed a simple baffle system to stop this but I was just curious if other owners had similar experiences?

7. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

(originally posted by Jason Pallas) Does anyone else get a lot of debris blow-over on the front deck. The grass shoots out up and over onto the deck a lot on ours. I fabbed a simple baffle system to stop this but I was just curious if other owners had similar experiences?

jason,
    i talked my briyher into bying a commercial mower for his personal yard and possible side jobs. he purchased a new lesco 48" fixed deck w/b w/ 15hp kawasaki. the first thind i noticed about it is the deck does alloy alot of grass, ect. blow out of the front of the deck and goin all over the operator. i tried different cutting hights and showed no improvement. how did you remedy your problem?
    this turned me away from purchasing a lesco hydo for this season.

8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

What I did was quite simple - I took two pieces of angle iron and cut them to fit on the inside of the front deck. I then attached this (essentially forming a "Lip" under the mower to interput the air flow) to the entire lengths of the two front parts of the "V" .

So if you were to look at a cutaway cross-section of the deck, the angle iron would be bolted to the front inside of the deck (in the cutting area) so that one angle ran parrallel to the front perpendicular part of the front deck - thus the other angle located at the bottom of the front facing part of the deck, faced back in (running parallel to the ground). Hope all that's clear.

This interputed the air flow enough to completely eliminate all that blow over.

2 Notes - you'll have to remove the front metal bumper plate held on w/bolts from the front face of the deck AND when you bolt the new lips on, watch the clearance for the front wheels. A bolt in the wrong place will wear right through your wheels. Good luck. It's really quite easy and well worth it.

9. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lesco 48WB belt "trim mower". I chose Lesco strictly because of the price. The mower has 5 years of service with absolutely no problems. Now I gotta find some wood to knock on. P.S. by trim mower I mean I use it for steep hills and small properties.

10. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the reply jason.