1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LED bulbs & specs help

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Dec 8, 2012.

1. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Although i appreciate your attempt to assert your professional wisdom a buck boost was used as a troubleshooting method.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. S&MLL

As a professional lighting contractor i would never spec a buck and boost transformer on one of my installs
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Thanks for asking! When we launched our 2700K miniatures, we began using a new LED chip. This allowed us to increase lumen output, and lower consumption, making the lamps up to 25% more efficient.

The 2700K miniatures are at least as bright as the original 3000K miniatures.
    SCB 255 lm
    G4 195 lm
    T5 220 lm
    G5.3 230lm
    S8 260 lm
    All data can be downloaded from our website also.
    http://www.illumicaregroup.com/downloads/Illumicare Miniature 2700K Sheet 112012.pdf

John Higo
  4. S&MLL

What were the 3000k scb's circa 2011?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Average 220lm

John Higo
  6. S&MLL

Thank you. Will be nice to spec 2700k minis and get similar output(minus humming) haha jk.john
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Re: humming LED's. Our tests found that some LED circuits emit an audible hum when used with an inefficient EI Laminated Type transformer. The more LED's on a line - the louder the hum, sometimes accompanied by flickering.

When you use an osciliscope to look at the current of humming LED's, you see huge voltage spikes - some of them high enough to exceed acceptable voltage limits. A humming or flickering LED is bound to fail long before its predicted life.

This is why we discontinued our 2 transformers that had EI cores and replaced them with toroids. Well-constructed toroidal transformers never produce this problem.
  8. S&MLL

Funny that under generator power there was never a hum. Btw your mdl transformer hummed just as bad on this same system as any other transformer i tried
  9. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Do manu's include optimal voltage range at the bulb? I didn't see anything included with the ones I purchased.
  10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike, before buying any LED lamp or fixture you should be getting all of the specifications. It the manufacture is not providing them, then you have to ask why.

Lumen Output
    Efficacy (Lm/W)

These are the bare minimum of specifications I would want to see before even sampling.