LED C9 Dud Rate

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by CleanCut1, Dec 6, 2011.

1. CleanCut1

CleanCut1 LawnSite Member

For those who sell LED, what is your estimated dud rate (bulbs that don't work right out of the box) for C9's?

I'm estimating at around 1.5% to 2% from my bulbs. Is this normal?

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

In a box of 1000 I got from HBL a couple of years back I had 3-4 that were not working, so 2% sounds about right. we have one 400 bulb plus job that uses those, and we replaced about 20 of those during the rehang this year, which seems about the same for an incan job on those that are not broken, just brighties and burned out ones on a normal year 3.

3. addictedtolandscaping

addictedtolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Has anyone used anything other than the LED's from HBL??

I got a call from Bastion Technologies in Utah yesterday and also use slot of product from Christmas designers - their m5- conical are unbelievable.

4. yard_smart

yard_smart LawnSite Senior Member

I think you mean 5mm ??? http://store.christmasdesigners.com/LED-Christmas-Lights/5-mm-Wide-Angle-Conical/Pro-Series/

and yes they ROCK added about 10 cases to our stock this year.

We exclusively switched to CDI this year. We were using reinders but CDI was able to save me a lil money and their customer service is outstanding.

They goofed up a order on a 13k job we had to do and over nighted a $5500 order to us to make sure we had it in time. Now that is service!!!!

Jason is a great guy an easy to work with and I like that the c7s are packages in bags vs boxes. Great product Great People

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We only use CD c9 led bulbs, we dont see out of the box failures that are even worth talking about, and rehangs have such a small amount that fail I honestly have not even tracked it.

Sorry I cant help out with the other vendors, I have gotten samples from several distributors and manufacturers and none of them were even close to the color or quality that I get from CD 5 diode warm white c9.

6. CleanCut1

I haven't bought any C9's or mini's from HBL.

I bought C9's from ChristmasLightsandMore and from Novelty Lights. The ones from CLM are made by Dekra-Lite and are 5 diode. They have a negligible dud rate, but are not very bright. The ones from Novelty Lights have no manufacturer stamp and are 3 diode. They have a high dud rate and sometimes mix a few warm whites in with boxes of cool white (nothing more frustrating than turning on the lights and seeing a dud or the wrong color at the highest peak). But, the Novelty Light bulbs are super bright. I haven't had time to test any other bulbs this season, but would like to find a reliable, bright bulb at a good price for next year.

Since this is my first full season, I don't know how any of the lights hold up over time.

I bought 5mm mini's from Village Lighting, Novelty Lights and CDI. In my opinion, CDI is the best. I would like to hear a review from anyone who has used CDI's C9 or C7 bulbs.

7. turf hokie

see my post above yours.

8. CleanCut1

Sorry Hokie, when I said CDI I meant Christmas Designers Incorporated. I think you thought I meant Christmas Decor.

Can anyone give a review on Christmas Designer's LED C9's?

I did two houses today. One was 170 feet, very tall and obstructed, required a lift. Three bulbs were duds - of course at the highest peak. The other house was 132 feet and seven bulbs were duds.

9. turf hokie

Yeah, I did, sorry....

10. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

box of 400 from Brite Ideas......now on number 27dud. frustrating