"LED enabled"

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

That is going on my next post card.

Nobody knows what bluetooth is but boy does it sell stuff when it's enabled.

My customers are asking about LED's. They don't know shot about halogen, but they know Bush had an LED Christmas tree this year. They equate LED language with low wattage/low volts/state of the art, and they want it.

I'm sticking my neck out and I predict I will do well.

Arthur P.
    for Mike M.

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Go for it Mike. If you want to give me a call some evening I will be happy to share with you all that I know. If you just want some resources I can help direct you to some.

There is a lot to understand, and there are still limitations. New stuff is always in the tube and things are changing rapidly. Be upfront and knowledgable with your clients and let them make informed and comparative decisions for them selves.

Have a great day.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been experimenting with LED's here at home. I know james has had good luck with them. I caution you about a few things.

Do not over warrant your Diodes. like anything bleeding edge there could be some unseen snafus.

Color temp is something you and your clients need to see. its close... but the light is a whole new breed to work with. Before you market them I suggest you get several and play at your house. We will see some new ones end of feb in fla mike. I still have yet to see a spot light with a 35w output capability. I like what I see so far but im not ready to offer them yet.

4. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I don't know what that means, but if it has to do with burning my privates on fixtures I'll be careful, thanks.

As far as technology, it pays to research and position yourself early in the market.

I heard why LED retro's are a technological flop from the start.

Billy's experiment with an MR compatible spot light may be the most significant thing we see on lawnsite. As soon as we have a good comparison, the question won't be should you add on LED's to your line, it will more like be whether you replace halogen and how quickly can you begin a campaign to get the word out.

Arthur P for Mike M. Providing professionally forum reading and reply services to save you time and make you look like a professional.

5. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Careful guys, the leading mfg of bright white LED chips just had a major recall of their latest and greatest.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

like i said... might be a tad early. i expect them to go full scale sometime this year with them best of them to be fixtures designed especially for LED use. James has been having pretty good luck with them but i dont think he can do 35w halogen effects yet.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Must be referring to this article:

http://www.ledsmagazine.com/news/5/1/19

8. dglights

dglights LawnSite Member

Lumileds considered the leading LED manufacturer? Their history of over promising and under delivering is now capped off by a major recall and stop in production. This is not the first time the K2 has been a major dissapointment and we can now add the rebel. There are at least 4 leading LED manufacturers but I would not consider Lumileds to be one of them.
    I advise everyone to consult a relieable and experienced source when considering LED products. In my opinion we should embrace this technology and make it right for what we do. Using products such as LED MR16 dropins is just wrong. With landscape lighting we have our own needs and unique requirements and we shouldn't have to make due with what's available from other industries.

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Steve. I recall reading that press release. The recall was do to a packaging issue.

Seems to me that CAST could send out a few recalls based on some of the packaging issues I have experienced here! :laugh: (Just having fun with you!)

10. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

:clapping::clapping:

For some reason some think I am coming way out of left field when I make this statement.