LED - Have you made the switch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Illumicare, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Just a quick questionaire to find out how many of you are currently using LEDs in your systems. Hopefully this will spur on some good discussion about the technology and it's use in outdoor low voltage lighting systems.

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we are currently testing about 3 dozen mr-16 bulbs from different manufacturors. we probably also have a few thousand LED c-9 bulb in the field from several different year models on Christmas lights. on LED mini-lights, we have a few dozen or so strands out there from the past few years we are testing.

the only LED's on both the Christmas and Landscape light side that still are over 75% lit rate are from the last 18 months.

I also have around 200 LED flashlights from different manu's, a dozen or so modified with different led's from different color temps and bins, from the past 4 years or so.

I also have a dozen LED 120v bulbs at a few cusotmer's houses we are testing.

3. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I am 98% LED, just have not found a bi pin I like. Other than that we have been consistently using LED on every install. I am very happy with Kichler's LED up light and small sconces. I also use MR16 lamps in brass fixtures from Volt or Unique. I really like the 3 watt MR16 I have been using, a little bit softer than a 20w BAB for down lighting.

The outdoor rated LED bi pin I have tried is good but I need more output for taller area lights.

4. Tim R.

Tim R. LawnSite Member

Still waiting a bit. I have tried Kichlers but can't stand the cheesy, cheep fixture housing. DG has some great LED fixtures with replaceable LED's. spec grade fixtures with great light output. Still waiting for a good direct replacement though.

MR16s I have used were too soft and not enough lumen output in the (BAB range)

No FMW equivelant

Havn't found a good bi-pin yet!

Conclusion: Still waiting on the fence for the silver bullet to arrive.

5. worx

worx LawnSite Senior Member

Hey James just a few questions:

At what voltage range do your lamps perform best?

Any handling precautions with LED lamps?

Will they fit most standard landscape fixtures?

Thanks and best of luck!

6. Sorry guys, there was supposed to be a poll attached to my post at the top of this thread. I cannot seem to add it now. We will get it right next time!

Q: Are you using any type of LED technology in your Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting Systems:

1: Yes, we use LED almost exclusively
    2: Yes, we use LED in select applications and systems
    3: No, we have not made the switch over to LED yet
    4: No, incandescent lamps are the only way to go.

7. Hi Steve... your answers are below:

Have a great day.

James

8. Mayor_tx

Mayor_tx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

We've been using a lot of MR-16 retro's from Halco. Their 6 watt multi chip have a nice color and put out a nice 35 watt like light.

9. Hi Mayor_tx. I just looked at the specifications of the Halco LED MR16, 5Watt, Warm White, 40 Degree lamp and noticed that it only produces 190 Lumens. This is less than a 20W halogen MR16. The shape of their lamps is quite different too, have you had any issues with those lamps fitting into standard fixtures? It also clearly states that the lamps are not to be used in enclosed fixtures. (heat issues)

Our current line of LED MR16 lamps produce 220+ Lumens (20W Halogen equivalent) and are available in 2700K, 3000K and 4000K colour temperatures. Our LED lamps have been designed specifically for use in enclosed fixtures and in the outdoor lighting industry. Their thermal management is without comparison and they are the same size as standard MR16 lamps.

Give them a try and see what you think.

James

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

James, I think the xpg cree is now or soon available in the q5 bin in true warm white, or 3000k, at around 107 lumens per watt, as opposed to the 80 or so of the p4 xre. I have heard from flashlight guys who have used both the xre and the xpg say that the thermal management is also better on the xpg. Is the newer LED on your radar to maybe get more lumens out of the mr-16 format without too much heat, maybe closer to 35 equiv. output?

I also am going to order one each of your LED's soon in honor of your new sponsorship ! wecome aboard !