1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LED Lamp Failure - who pays us to change?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by LLC RI, Aug 23, 2012.

1. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

My warranty is everything for the first year. I have moved away from drop ins for the most part due to more failures early on. I have been using integrated LED fixtures and have had almost no failures in the last couple of years. Either way, for us, it's 1 year period. After which we still cover the products but they pay for the labor, at least a minimum visit charge. So far I have had only one person gripe about it 4 years after we did the job, but they still paid it. I have a policy that if someone touches the system other than us, our 1st year warranty is void, and subsequent repair visits are full price. I give my clients this in writing now so there is no misunderstandings. I also notify them on the phone if they are over the first year before we roll out there.

All that said, I am very, very picky about whose products go into my jobs. Cheaper is not usually better in the long haul.

I have had customers willing and asking to pay for service within the first year, ie: reprogramming timers, etc, but I refuse it. It is how we do business and usually it improves our referrals too.