LED Lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Ray'sLeds, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Ray'sLeds

Ray'sLeds LawnSite Member

Hi, Mike Murphy introduced me to this forum and it is quite informative. I have designed and built custom LED lighting in the past ten years for yachts, aircraft, motorcycles, landscapes and water features to name a few. Having semi-retired in January I still stay up with the latest developemens and it is still coming fast. Looking around the forum. most of you seem to be involved in someway with LEDs. From a knowledge base, if I can assist any of you with your next LED project, let me know. Regards, Ray McQuaig

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Ray! Glad to see you here. It will be awesome if you could check in regularly as there is always a lot of conversation going on about LEDs. It's good to see you here, as we need an experienced and informative person who knows about LED lighting!
    Again, welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing your experienced and knowledgeable opinions! :clapping:

3. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

glad to have you onboard !:) - I'm kinda split on led's in landscape lighting. I understand they are the wave of the future, but also they will erode my rebulb revenue. I am looking at the first strand of Christmas led's that truly mimic the color , brightness, spread of incandescent. This I can live with, albeit at 15x the cost of incandescent. led's are coming to christmas lighting whether I like it or not as well.

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Hello Ray and welcome!! What are your thoughts regarding LED MR replacement lamps?

6. Ray'sLeds

Paul I see no problems with direct replcement LED MRs. My findings have been that most Mfgs don't drive them at their max lumen output. Regards Ray

7. NightScenes

Thanks Ray, what about manufacturers? Who makes the best LED MR lamp?

8. Ray'sLeds

Paul, Dialight or Superbright LEDs would probably be your best bet. The latter cheaper and easier to order from. I have only ordered a few for friends. I might also add that I would not mix them with standard MRs because LEDs are monochromatic (single wave length of light). Ray

9. NightScenes

What about color temp of those LEDs? I would want a warm white around 2700K.

10. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Oh, this is so cool to have someone who knows a little bit about Led. Ray, what is the problem with mixing LED and standard MRs? As long as the voltage is in the correct range, why would there be a problem?