LED lights and safety strobes

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Envy Lawn Service, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I posted this some time ago and didn't really get any response.

Basically I want to do this because I hear the lights are good, use less power, ect.

What I really want to do is have all the lights on the trailer be LED.
    Then I want like a safety strobe mounted up on a pole.
    This way I can leave it running when parked curbside or whatever.
    Get attention for safety without running the battery down...
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Great Idea , but winters almost over so you better get moving
  3. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

Not exactly sure what your asking but www.awdirect.com has good selection of safety and warning lights.
  4. duke99

duke99 LawnSite Member

envy lawn service - ive got 4 (able 2 ) led microlights that are connected to a lawn tractor battery ... whenever im on the roadside i just flip the toggle switch located by the rear tailight and .. bam instant warning ... and i can leave them on for hours and no dead battery which is in the inside strapped down ...
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I just recently added 4 Whelen TIR6 amber LED's with clear lenses to my F350. I put two in teh front grill and 2 in the rear tool box. They are so much easier to wire up than halogen strobes because you don't have to mount and wire the powersupply. Everything is self contained in the LEDS. Just add a fused switch and you're good to go.

The trailer is going to get some sort of LED light(s). I'm just not sure what yet. I as thinking of a set of Whelen TIR3's on the rear of the fenders to keep them protected. You want to put them up high as possible. I might get a LED beacon to mount to the top of my trimmer rack (360 degree coverage). I'm a little hesitant because it is so exposed to branches.

Either way it will be LEDs and they will be powered by a 12v battery on the trailer tongue which I already have for the breakaway system which is charged by the truck.
  6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I put the LED wic3's in my toolbox sometime last summer. I got them mainly because the amp draw is so low compared to strobes.... 0.8 Amps (Max).

When im plowing all night with my heat blasted and headlights on the LED lights have little effect on my battery and are very bright.

They were very easy to wire one power wire and one ground no power supply needed . Just wire to the truck battery and then to a switch in the cab.
  7. jt5019

This is them when turned on (sorry its a little bright out)

led on.JPG
  8. jt5019

And this is what they look like off

LED off.JPG
  9. NEPSJay

those led's look good JT.... heres a pic of mine
  10. NEPSJay

here they are on....