LED Side by Side Pics

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by bmwsmity, Sep 18, 2008.

1. bmwsmity

bmwsmity LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Ohio

Okay, just got a few sample LED fixtures from Kichler today...

I gotta say, I'm totally impressed. VERY bright, and great color temp...definitely what they claim.

Here are some side by side pics. 35w 60deg. Prism Halogen vs. 35w equivalent 35deg. Kichler LED. (sorry, didnt have a quality 35w 35deg. bulb handy).

The color rendering from my so-so camera isn't exactly true to life, but it gets the point across i think...

LED is on the right...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    50w equivalent 35deg. Kichler LED on a tree...

I gotta say, the 50w almost looks like a HID light it is so white and intense...

Tomorrow I start installing 75 of these things (mostly 35w equiv. 60deg.), so hopefully I can get some lit up to get some more pics if things go quickly enough....

My doubts have been smashed....

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

A more accurate comparison would be if you used a 38 degree MR16.. I'm wondering if spread lenses are in the future for Kichler LEDs?

3. bmwsmity

Male, from Ohio

I know... I did pop in a cruddy quality 38degree mr16....but it had such a nasty greenish tint i didnt think it would give a good illustration...

My main concern was the lumen output and the color temp...

These things are BRIGHT and nice and warm light..

Also nice, they can actually be handled with bare hands to adjust when illuminated, unlike a copper halogen that will melt skin...

4. bmwsmity

Male, from Ohio

i got the majority of the lights in the front installed today, and I've gotta say these LED's are absolutely PHENOMENAL!

125' run of 16/2 running 3 35w equivalent lights... only had to use the 13v tap...only 3 amps load... just crazy the potential...

i didn't get to take any pics yet, but it looked astounding and the clients are THRILLED with the look of the LED's.

pics coming monday...

5. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I told you that you would like them!

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I see a big difference in the optics between the LED fixture on the right side of that shed and the Halogen on the left. You would have to keep this in mind when planning to use those fixtures in achitectural grazing / highlighting applications.

Also, there is the issue of the form of the Kichler LED fixtures. I (and many others) think that they are rather ugly. They have put function ahead of form in the design of the line. This might work for some, but for others, the look and ability to seamlessly integrate the fixtures into the property is very important.

Just my .02

7. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

Ooooo! James,
    Those are fightin words, you better put your boxing gloves on, I have a feelin Chris will be comin after ya for those comments.

8. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I just finished a job with Kichler LEDs as the up lights and you can't tell they are LED. The customer wanted LEDs because the well lights and bullets are too high temperature in the dry leaves for their liking. I used Unique fixtures everywhere else and you can't tell the difference in color temp. I put the up lights on a separate trany and only needed a 600w for 50 8.5w LEDs, that's crazy.

9. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

"I put the up lights on a separate trany and only needed a 600w for 50 8.5w LEDs, that's crazy."

Isn't it crazy. Kichler put the 15 year warranty on the fixture & FINISH. There are alot of guys that look down upon Kichler but for the price its a great deal. The amount of money in the long run its going to save. Plus if I never had to lug around a 1200 watt trans again I would be very happy.

10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

So I guess folks are not following James advice of wiring these things up just like Halogen in the event of LED issues? Roll them dice baby !