LED Spotlight and Pathlights

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Chrysalis, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Chrysalis

Chrysalis LawnSite Member

Hey a quick question,

Are 1.5 watt LED spotlights even any where close to amount of light you would get from an mr16 30 watt halogen? What are some good comparisons? Ive been looking for information everywhere online and cant find a review anywhere! I was thinking of using the Dabmar LV-LED10 in a new landscape install. They come equipped with a mr16, 20 led, 1.5 watt, and can be seen on page 125 of:

http://www.dabmar.com/Catalogs/Dabmar Landscape.pdf

Thanks in advance,

Marc

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

NO, NO, NO

Even the best of LED's dont compare. We supply the LUXXO LED from Kumho, and it is arguably the best LED MR16 lamp replacement module on the market. In front of our building we have one LED installed in a Pulsar on one side of a queen plam, and a standard 20w Halogen MR16 installed in another Pulsar on the other half of the palm and the halogen blows it away!! The LED's look good on the lower lying foliage and what not but on taller structures and trees LED's are WEAK! If you cover the halogen fixture up you can barely see the canopy lit and when you cover the led the halogen fills the canopy out nicely. This is on a 20ft tall queen palm which isnt a HUGE tree by any stretch.

3. Chrysalis

Wow Joey!

Thank you, you just made up my mind for me. I guess the technology is just not there yet for me to try to go green on lighting installs. Maybe one day they will have a price effective but powerful led lighting system on the market imagine the energy savings if people were using 2-5 watt lights instead of 30-50!

Marc

4. JoeyD

They are getting close but LED still has aways to go.......

Merry Christmas

Joey D

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Wow Joey...You didnt even mention the 24v system!

6. JoeyD

I didnt see it really applying to the topic...LOL LED and 24v dont really compare....24v is much better! LOL

7. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

And there it is! Thats what i wanted! :laugh:

8. Chrysalis

what guage wire do yall recommend for a fully loaded 600w transformer? 10, 12, or 16?

And this is the transformer we always used with my old company, no real problems other than when the hombres would accidentally overload it and the wires would get hotter than hell and the bottom would melt off. Is this one good for the price or is there somehting better out there?

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N

Marc:)

9. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

OMG NO!!!! I really hope that is a joke. This is why there needs to be certifications so NO Yahoos can install this crap.

10. Chrysalis

Im asking an opinion. If you cannot reply respectfully then dont reply at all you POS.

Marc