1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LED too Bright?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Chris J, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a problem I'd like to get some suggestions for. I installed a couple of Kichler 15765 LED deck sconces on a railing of a deck. The customer thinks the lights are too bright because there is no cover. The LEDs are 1.9w. Does anyone have any good ideas of how I can reduce the light output and soften it without making this a hack job.

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris, perhaps you can have a piece of frosted glass or screening cut to fit in the opening and silicone it in. That would also diffuse the light and eliminate any hot spot from the lamp itself. I am not a fan of this type of fixture for the harshness of the light.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Possible just to swap out to a diff fixture ? In my opinion that would be easier to do than trying to modify it or add frosted glass to it. Im not familiar with that fixture. Is there any type of glass over it. Can you frost the existing glass ?

The Kichler LED's are not dimmable i guess ?

You had to have seen the ushios (where the heck are they now?????) at lightfair. Dimmable yet the hold a true color.
  4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

The Ushio Synergy LED Lamp is still not available to market Billy. I don't know why, but they have certainly put it's release off a number of times.

The very fact that their lamp is dimmable tells me a lot about the driver technology they are using. I am betting that the heat that lamp produces is too much for the LED engines and it has lumen maintenance issues.

The Kumho LED MR16 has no such issues and is available right now at about 30% less then the Ushio will sell for if and when it is ever ready for market.

Chris: Other then changing out the fixture, or fabricating some sort of screen for the Kichler, I don't know what you can do there... Can you dis-assemble the fixture? If so you might be able to 'disconnect' one of the LEDs inside to reduce the light output.

5. Chris J

I guess I'm looking for input from someone who knows this fixture and may have some experience with it. There is no lens attached to the fixture, but there is a small lens covering the diode. My first thought is to lightly sandblast the "contact lens" size diode lens to see if this provides sufficient diffusion. This job is so small, and the customer is so particular, that I don't want to have to go back there more than once to rectify the situation. I already had to reschedule the job because when we first showed up the wife was pissed about the size and location of the 200w transformer which was going to be on the deck itself (mounted to the house). And before any of you start giving me advice about that, let me clarify that I instructed them to have the electrician (who was already working on site) to move the outlet location off the deck and behind the bushes (20 minutes worth of work and $75 bucks). We also discussed the larger 200w transformer to accomodate additional lighting that they might want in their back yard. Client just doesn't listen sometimes.
    Anyway, thanks for everyones help. If anyone has another suggestion, please chime in.
  6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Chris... without pictures it is hard... but, could you construct some type of enclosure (using same building materials as the rail structure) to install the Kichler lights into? Essentially a wood box if you will... that you could then control the apature size that the light streams out of.

This would control your light output and hide from view those "nasty looking" (IMO) fixtures.

7. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

LEDs are dim-able, why not just add a 12v dimmer? Terradek carries them.
  8. Chris J

Huh? Dimable? How can they be dimable if the operating range is 8-15v? It's my understanding that the out put is the same with any voltage between 8-15. Anyless than that and they will blink. Please explain.
  9. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure Gerry is carrying those 12v dimmer switches anymore........?? I didnt know all LED's were dimmable??? Like Chris I thought it was important for them to remain in their voltage specs. Chris have you already tried reducing the incoming voltage?ccDoes the inside of the fixture have any reflective material or a white surface you could darken up with some paint?
  10. Chris J

I haven't tried to reduce the voltage. I was originally going to install a 200w pro-grade transformer for future expansion, but the wife freaked out about the size of it (I know, long story). I ended up putting all 10 lights on a small 75w unit with no multi-taps; only hi-low switch. Again, all 10 lights are LED and the total lamp load is 19watts. Only the two deck lights are being complained about. The homeowner is very happy with the appearance of the other 8 deck lights and all are connected together so the possiblity of dimming is out of the question without rewiring (and I do not want to disassemble this deck again). I think I'm going to try the spray-on frost and see if that tones it down enough. If that doesn't work, I'll have to resort to another suggestion.