1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LED tracker

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

If you have LED systems out there for a year or so, please provide some feedback.

I think the best results I hear are from people using dedicated fixtures which separate the LED from the control modules (as opposed to retro bulbs).
  2. emby

emby LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Hi Mike,

I am currently submitting a proposal to install regular landscape lighting as this customer is not happy with his LED system. I have not even looked at what type of system is currently installed but here are a couple of pictures of the fixtures mounted everywhere on the house. I am sure that they spent a few bucks on this particular system.

July172009 036.jpg

July172009 037.jpg

July172009 035.jpg
  3. Mike M

from usa

My guess is they didn't like the lighting design, and the quality of output (intensity and/or color).

I don't know those fixtures.

I'm hoping to get some responses here from people with their own LED installs out in the elements.
  4. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 900-1000 Kichler LED fixtures in the field, some have been in service for about a year. I have not had any problems with the exception of a couple faulty ones. They were replaced no questions asked.
  5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

That's hideous, why would they not use can lights under that porch and opt for those ugly things?
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

because someone told them led's were the wave of the future.
  7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I am approaching 2000 LED MR16s installed to date and have had ZERO issues with the Kumho Luxxo MT Series (no longer available from what I understand) or my own line of LED lamps.

I have had some issues with the 3x3w Prolight LED MR16 lamps that I installed in 2007. Some of these have failed but were replaced under warranty. Their issue was a shorting out capacitor on the driver board.

I am now installing G4 Bi-Pin LED lamps in many soft flood, post light and accent fixture applications. Also a proprietary design and fabrication. So far very good performance when you need a 15W xenon equivalent.

I have a T5 Wedge and a 1156 SCB LED lamp in engineering now... should be available in early 2010.

Said it before and I stand by it. Why re-engineer and build all new (and butt ugly) LED fixtures when you can install excellent lamps inside already perfected fixtures?
  8. Mike M

from usa

James, as far as LED bulbs, if you plan to use the same fixture, the same wiring method, and the same transformers, than why even bother? All for the sole benefit of longer lasting bulbs?
  9. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

There are some really good can light LEDs out there that could be used instead of those after thought pieces of junk. There are some that are RGB LEDs with an internal color temp sensor that constantly monitors the output color. They are spendy but they look better than that junk heap attached to the underside of that porch.
  10. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Regardless of how you lay your system out and if you have an oversized transformer you still only pay for what you draw and an LED system will draw less. For those who are more turned on by longer lasting lamps we will be introducing a 10K hour and 20K hour "Green Light" MR16 lamp in the near future! (No it wont be Green in color! LOL)