Left Handed New Employee making me crazy!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PetalsandPines, Apr 27, 2004.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Ok, I know this sounds stupid, but how do you deal with a left handed new employee when it comes to weedwacking & Edging....It is painful for me to watch how awkward it is for him to hold these machines that seem to be made for right handed people??? You get used to your routine,so when you see someone doing it the opposite way and taking twice as long it makes me crazy. When nobody was looking I tried weedwacking with my left hand........Not a pretty sight!! Help!!!;) ;)

2. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I have used mine left handed plenty of times, I from time to time get tennis elbow and have to switch hands. Left handed is't the problem he needs more practice.

3. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm left handed and don't seem to have any problem I've yet to have an employee that can keep up with me. But then again, I can edge right handed, too. Just takes practice.

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I trim left handed, it helps to rotate the handle as well as the shaft some in relationship to the engine.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Lefties are Better Trimmers operators!

Consider that the string rotates counter-clockwise on all commercial trimmers. Because of this rotation, the operator must move along a wall from right to left to trim properly. Practically speaking, this necessitates that a right-handed operator walk sideways, if not backwards, while circling a building in a clockwise rotation.

A left-handed trimmer operator, however, doesn't face this problem. He or she holds the throttle grip in the left hand and holds the handle in the right hand. When this person trims along a wall (from right to left, clockwise around a building) following the same path of a right-handed operator, he or she can hold the trimmer straight across the waist with arms fully extended. Most importantly, this operator walks straight ahead.

Obviously, if a right-handed operator converts to a left-handed hold, productivity should increase substantially. The operator now can see where he or she is walking and is less fatigued at the end of the day. And if you train new operators to trim left-handed from the beginning, they will never know the difference. (Of course, in certain situations, you still may need to edge right-handed because of obstacles. An example would be when cars block your path along a curb. In these cases, you can simply switch hands and step out onto the lawn and continue edging until past the obstacle.)

6. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I totally agree, guys who are left handed are better and faster while weedwacking!!!!!!

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a lefty and converted him to a righty, did great and was very appreciative.

8. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

i have an old echo trimmer, and the only problem i with my lefthandedness is the muffler location, first the exhaust blows at my body...so i smell like exhaust all day.
    Second,once in a while if im not careful i get burnt form the muffler under my right forearm...if i was right handed i wouldnt have these problems. :)

its an old echo curved shaft trimmer GT200BE...not sure how old it is , but that thing is all powerful!!

9. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Fairway you lost me....Maybe I am stating this wrong, I am right handed however I shoot a hockey puck left handed....Does that make sense? So in essence I personally, hold the handle "loop" in my left hand and hold the grip/throttle in my right hand so the engine is behind my right shoulder....My employee, holds it the opposite way, thus he has to walk backwards along a wall.....

10. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Give him time to adjust and let him practice, it'll come sooner or later.