Left Hanging!!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by land_scaper70, Nov 28, 2011.

1. land_scaper70

land_scaper70 LawnSite Member

I had a guy call about someone who left him hanging (ie, did not know how to finish the job) not 100% (90% sure how to do it) sure myself that is why I'm here. I think I know, the steps up to the front of the house, I have to remove the siding put a piece of flashing against the house, finish the step to the entrance, put J-channel and put the siding back. Sound right? Also those slivers in the arch, should I get rid of those and taper every other paver? I think I should if I am going to put my name on it. There are a few other things, the ones mentioned are the major ones. Thanks

front step.jpg

front step 2.jpg

front step 3.jpg

2. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I wouldn't screw with the siding. Just used a wall product to build a wall/step tight to the house in front of the siding. You only need 1 more step in that set right?

3. Torchwood

Torchwood LawnSite Member

You could install a piece of treated 2x whatever below the door after you put the step in with metal behind it, siding or metal below a door tends to get damaged good luck
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not so sold on flashing the side of a house anymore. I used to be though.

Case by case basis, is my approach.

The side of a house MUST breathe. Siding has small vent holes on the bottom of eah piece that allow for this.

And if you Google *tyvex home wrap* you'll see they make mention that Tyvex breathes.

On the same token you do not want to rot a person's house.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

You might just want to take a second look at that install as well, I would be hesitant to build on top of someone else's work. Your putting alot of trust that they did everything right up till now.

And those look like pavers they used for coping with the little spacers on them.... that was my first clue this is probably wrong in more then one way.

6. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

the customer is gonna GET REAMED twice..........sigh

7. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Trash the whole thing and start over. There is not one single thing done right that I can see. Wrong pavers. Wrong cuts. Wrong everything.

8. Torchwood

Torchwood LawnSite Member

Definitely start over, no sense in putting your name on a pile of sh**,
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

ok, now the question is.....does the TC (topic creator) have a name for his/herself?

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

You sure the homeowner didn't do that after a trip to Home Depot?