1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

left the shop without something???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grass_Slayer, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

have u guys ever left the shop, get to the job and then realize u left an important tool at the shop?

personally, even though i dont like to admit it, i left the keys to my z and my wb on my dresser in the house. the house is 18 miles from the job i'm at. i walked across the street to somebody's house who i'd never met in my life, and asked if i could borrow the keys out of their murray. the let me and i thanked them profusely.

i thought about mowin heir yard for free that day, but i didnt have the time.
  2. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

l could just imagine some scrub reading this and seeing a murry on the trailer where my walker was, lol (knock on wood) Anyhow... name the tool w/ the exception of the mowers I've probably left it at the shop at least once :p

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The regular equipment never leaves the trailer. Always with me. If I need hedge trimmers or chainsaw I will occassionally forget them.
  4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't pull keys, but on rare occaison. But if I did loose one I would go to the JD dealer and by a JD key. That would fit the Walker too. If I forget some thing either I do without until tomorrow, or buy another one. I also live 18 miles from town.
  5. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Didn't leave any tools but left the entire days billing invoices on the desk. Trying to save a few dollars in stamps got shot. Realized this after cutting the first lawn and reaching for them in the truck. :rolleyes:
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

no i never ever leave anything. not my cold drink on the island,the bills i needed to mail,the odd tool i need for a unusual task, never happen to old steel trapmind aw:) .its the expcted around here.also the laugh as i got 5 kids that w eception o one are starting to do the same thing.now having learned dicipline an organization in the military,it use to make me fume. then i realized them fumes didnt do nothin but stink.:D
  7. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Use a lanyard for your mower keys. You can get a kit from Trimmer Trap or buy the pieces from a hardware store. There's always something that needs a lanyard. But to your topic, an enclosed trailer is my goal because whenever you unload a trailer, it's possible to forget something.
  8. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

i never knew all keys worked with all mowers:dizzy: o well that would have saved me many a trips home:D
  9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

John Deere, Walker, and I hate to admit it but so do MTD, Murray, and Crapsman. This was in the days of the older mowers, not sure if they all do it now or not.
    I imagine the goal was cheap.
  10. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

add bunton,toro,exmark,scag,bobcat.
    Home depot even sells the keys.
    to solve the problem i have one key on my truck keys.
    i leave the bagger at home all the time.