leftover 2007 Toro Z550, good price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dakota2112, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dakota2112

dakota2112 LawnSite Member

Guys, I'm real close to buying a Scag Tiger Cub 52"/25HP but my dealer is trying to get rid of a left-over 2007 Toro for what I think is a good price. It's not a demo machine, no hours on it.

It's a Z550, it does not have the adjustable baffle like the Turbo Force but other than that it looks like a Turbo deck to me anyways. It's a 60" cut, 28HP air cooled Kawasaki. To move this thing, he's willing to sell for $7100 out the door including a full suspension seat upgrade.

The Scag is $8350 out the door, including an upgrade to flat-free fronts. I was pretty much sold on the Scag but the Toro price seems real tempting. I'm about to flip a coin :confused:

What would you do? My Toro brochure lists the 2008 specs so I can't say for sure what the 2007 has (tapered spindle bearings? flatfree fronts? 12cc pumps? etc) also note this is primarily for personal use on about 4+ acres.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I think those go for less then that at my dealer...I would call around a few places to get prices...a 2007 and 2008 should be very similar in price. For you and 4 acres this mower should last a long time and the spindles are the same across the Toro line as far as I know.

3. dakota2112

A different local dealer wants $7150 out the door for a Z400 21hp.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The toro sounds like a pretty good deal to me, though I haven't looked at there pricing lately. With the 60" deck you'll get finished mowing a little quicker. Both brands have a great reputation but for $1000 less than the scag you get a bigger deck and bigger engine and a suspension seat. I would go for the toro.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

best stick with the Scag. You won't be disappointed. Toro makes a good mower, but if it doesn't have the Turbo Force deck, keep looking.

I paid alot less then that for my Cub. It ran me $7800 with the seat, adjustable control handles and the 61" deck.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Would he really need the Turbo Force Deck?

7. dakota2112

I think I'm stuck with the quoted price for the Scag - I got an identical quote from the other dealer, so I think they're both sticking with the regional distributor price or however that works. The one dealer likely won't budge on the Scag since he's trying to move the Toro, and the other dealer might drop a little just to get my business but I don't like them and would rather do my business with the Toro/Scag place. :dizzy:

8. ALC-GregH

from PA

He might not need it but if it's a better deck then I can't see why he wouldn't WANT a mower with a better deck.

I would look at the Toro and just tell him you don't care much for them (lie if you have too) and you'll buy the Scag if he can make it a better deal. Have him throw some extras in with the deal.

9. dakota2112

I actually made the low offer on the Toro ($7100 out the door including seat upgrade), not being very interested in it and thinking he'd never go for it BUT HE DID, and that's how I got into this situation! :cry: (is there a foot-in-mouth icon? :laugh:)

10. ALC-GregH

from PA

Just tell him your really not interested in the Toro. Just because you made an offer doesn't mean your obligated to buy it. Try the same thing on the Scag. See what he has to say and go from there. If nothing else, the price might stay the same but if he can off set the price by throwing in other accessories it might well be worth it.

I know it might sound biased but, Scag really is a solid built mower and every time I mow, I have a smile on my face. :D

I never knew their motto was "simply the best" for the longest time but I can clearly see why they use it now!