Leftovers?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by stuvecorp, Aug 4, 2009.

1. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I try pretty hard to cut it close but always end up with a few block or pavers left over. I can get the supplier to take back some every once and awhile but I hate having these odds and ends that accumulate. What do some of you do? I am doing some small projects around the shop to try to burn product up.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I usually let them accumulate and then sell them for a fraction of what we paid.

About 4 years ago I made about $2500 from selling left overs. I'd just place the pallets along the busy road with a cardboard for sale sign on each pallet stating the price. They usually sold within 4 hrs every time. CASH.

This spring I sold about a 3 yr accumulation. Now we're at a different location and don't have the road frontage. So I take pictures of each pallet and post them on Craigslist with the price and approximate square footage imprinted on the picture. Didn't do to shabby on the sale of left over pavers again this year :)

3. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I just make a habit of returning the leftovers right away.

4. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Donate them to your local habitat for humanity reseller. They can use every bit of it and you can write it off as a donation.

5. DVS Hardscaper

Donating them is a great idea. It would never work for us, though. A busy company with employees on the clock, it would be nearly impossible to bundle left overs up and truck them to such a facility, especially if the facility is out of the way.

6. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

DVS, it's a donation. You should be able to bundle your labor with the product.

Around here we can't return any pavers that are not full pallets but hollandstone. I bid by the pallet and anything left over the customer can keep or we sell them. It's always nice to have a few extras around.

7. DVS Hardscaper

Thanks, but thats not quite what we're about. We sell production hrs, not product.

We work long days, often starting at 6am and sit in DC area traffic. Last thing we want to do at the end of a long day is venture off the beaten track with a 30,000# truck and trailer. Plus the trailer is connected, thats a pain in the butt to fool with at someone else's yard. Much easier to pull into our own yard and unhook trailers and unload, than it is to unhook to donate pavers, hook back up, then unhook a second time at the yard to unload the tools, etc.

We have about 15 more pallets to get rid of. I can taste the cold beer and the all you can eat MD Crabs now!!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  8. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

If all else fails, trash them. I always bid extra product (nothing worse than running short and having to run out for more product - especially since my dealers are all a one way drive of 45 minutes) and the leftover stays with the homeowner or we haul it to the dump! There are a few exceptions, clay brick and hollandstone plus another "local" product that we tend to use quite regularly. We keep these at the shop and reload for other jobs if it works out. I like the idea of selling them on craigslist, although we don't usually have enough laying around to attempt this. Maybe though.

9. DVS Hardscaper

Thats how I got stated with selling our left overs. I was dumping them in our dumpster. And I got to thinking "I could probably get $50 for this partial pallet if I place it along the road".

You'd be amazed how many people only need 40 SF.

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I used to bring home all the extras, untill I realized I hated having to unload them when I got home. I normally junk the extras or bring them back to my supplier even though he does not give me a refund.

On a big project I normally order one pallet shy of what we need. My supplier is 5 minutes from my house, its no big deal to pick up a couple or rows of pavers on my way out one morning.